Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m_mike
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Home Hub replacement

Go to solution

I have just purchased an asus ac66u to replace my home hub but I am having issues getting it configured the connect via BT Infinity does anyone know what setting I should be using.  I have connected the router to the modem and set the router to wireless router mode I also selected PPoE and entered the username from the home hub.  Is there something else I'm missing?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
SusiBiker
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: Home Hub replacement

Go to solution

Hi.

Have you by any chance got your wireless username and password confused with your username from BT?

It is the btinternet email address you received when signing up.

Having just set up my netgear R6300 recently, all I had to do was enter my BT email address as the UserName:

xxxxx@btinternet.com

Requires a login? Yes.

Password? Leave blank.

Internet IP address? Get automatically from ISP

DNS? Get automatically from ISP        (I use the Google DNS servers though)

PPOE

Always On

That's it basically.

Hope it works for you.

Regards,

Susi

Jakamarra
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

I have recently ordered Infinity and this question of connecting a router is one that get confusing across several forums. I just assumed that connecting to the router would be the question of connecting the Openreach modem to the WAN. On ADSL this is all I have never had to do with BT and also systems in Malaysia and Australia. BT are not the most user friendly Telco but then not many are. But searching the BT literature that say that any "Cable Router" with a WAN port can connect to the Openreach modem. I am using Asus RT-N16 router to a Dlink DSL-360T the connection is default DHCP but on reading it seems that the connection must be PPPoE. Anyway look at this post here.

So my reading of all this is:

WAN connection PPPoE

Username; bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: nothing or a single space depending on router.

Let me know how you get on and anyone else who can confirm this.

Robert

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution
Quick extra: I hear some routers don't like completely empty passwords, so don't try to login properly. Don't know about the acc66u; but if SusiBiker's suggestion does not work, try to enter a space for the password, or I think any old rubbish will do.
0 Ratings
m_mike
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies I will try it again when I get home.  The image below shows the settings I was trying before, is there anything else I should be changing.

router.jpg

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution
I don't know if it is case sensitive: I have username all lowercase (bthomehub@btbroadband.com)
0 Ratings
m_mike
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

I'm still having issues getting connected. I have it currently set in Wireless router mode using PPPoE with the correct username but it still will not connect.  The other options are Media Bridge or Access Point am I correct not to use these settings.  It is reallying confusing me as it shouldn't be this difficult.

I just had another thought should I be connecting the openreach modem to the WAN port or directly to a LAN port.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution
you should be connecting the modem to the WAN port
0 Ratings
SusiBiker
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Hi

Are you actually using bthomehub@btbroadband.com as your login or was that for our benefit?

Please note, it should be the email address given to you when you signed up for Ininity.

As far as I am aware, the email addresses are of the form:   yournamehere@btinternet.com

and *NOT*   yournamehere@btbroadband.com

Hey, I could be wrong though 😉

For instance, my signup is something like:  somethingorother@btinternet.com

And no, it is all lower-case.

In emails, case does not matter. However just to be awkward, when emails are used in logins, they may or may not be case sensitive. As a rule of thumb, whatever case you used when setting up a login, you should stick to unless told otherwise.

For sending emails, it does not matter what case you use.

You do not need to mess with Media Bridge or Access Point.

**BTW. Don't forget to power-off/on your MODEM after each Username change on your router or it will keep trying to use the old signin details.**

Hope this helps

xx

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Are you actually using bthomehub@btbroadband.com as your login or was that for our benefit?  Yes, that is the correct login for any Infinity router: the one the router uses to establish a connection to the cabinet (via the modem).  The other login is for things like email.

And no need to power off the modem when you re-login.  The modem connection to the cabinet is just a connection that is set up as long as the wires are all correct.  The login involves the router establishing a ppoe connection to the cabinet; so you need to disconnect/reconnect the router.  Indeed, on my HomeHub 3 you can't change the login details until you first disconnect the router; and then when you reconnect it will use the new details.