cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raphe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

Home Network

I have two PCs one Vista the other XP. both are connected to a BT Home hub, one via ethernet the other wireless. How can I create a home network and share a printer and files?

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
mushy408
Beginner
Message 2 of 33

Re: Home Network

Make sure both PCs are on the same workgroup (eg. MSHOME or WORKGROUP)

Then you need to enable file sharing on BOTH PCs (right click on files/folders you wish to share & click "Share"). To share a printer, go into control panel (on the PC with the printer you want to share) and right click & share printer, either that or look for the tab on the LHS of the window that says Share a Printer (or similar)

0 Ratings
raphe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 33

a novice to all this. What's a work grou and how do I create one.

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 33

on the xp pc
open network connection, in the left of the window there should be an option to setup a home or small office network, click it,
follow it through entering whatever you like for hte network name, finish it and reboot hte pc (make sure you selected enable file/printer sharing)

in the vista pc, on the network icon in the taskbar bouble click it select network and sharing center,

click the customize button next tothe active connection and again enter the same network name as before on the xp pc.

change it to a private network, click next, click close.

on the main sharing page locate the file sharing bit click the down arrow set it to on, do the same for the rest that you wnat ot share, click apply then reboot hte pc.

now it should all be viewable and if you have more problems i need to know what firewall your using.
0 Ratings
raphe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Thanks. Did as you suggested and also disabled the firewalls in both PCs (McAfee), but still no connection.

When i look at the network map on the XP Pc I see an 'other device' but not aon the Vista one.

Any other ideas.

Roaphe

0 Ratings
Tog
Contributor
Message 6 of 33

As with all Microsoft products, another reboot of both devices may be called for.

0 Ratings
raphe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Thanks Tog,

Unfortunately re-booting hasn't helped. Any more ideas?

Raphe

0 Ratings
Tog
Contributor
Message 8 of 33

Double check you have the shares set up. Locate the shared folders in Explorer and make sure they each have a little hand under the icon. Then right click on them and check that the permissions are set to allow read access for all users. It's a bit difficult to give a detailed howto as I'm not running those Operating Systems.
0 Ratings
MikeFlint
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 33

A few simple things to check:

- what are the ip addresses of the two computers (either look at status of the network connections; or go to a command prompt and type 'ipconfig')?

:: we do this to check you both have network connections on the same subnet. They will both be something like 192.168.1,65

- from each computers command prompt try to ping the other computer ... so on machine A, type in 'ping ip-address-B' and vice versa. So type 'ping 192.168.1.65' in my example

:: this is checking that the two computers can actually connect to each other over tcp/ip. So you check that A can see B and then B can see A.

If this works the two computers are sharing a local network.

Then, you need to check that your firewalls are sharing local network addresses. They usually are, but as suggested, killing the firewalls whilst you set-up is not a bad idea.

Then make sure you are sharing in the same workgroups, and sharing the right sort of things. For example, you can't share user-files - you need to share something common e.g. c:\share would be a good idea. 'Shared Documents' is another. Windows doesn't let you share a user's private folders.
For printers, you need to add a new printer, then select 'network printer' not a 'local one' (even though it's local of course(!).
But get the files sorted first, then printer.

Also, check windows event viewer for errors when things dont work - sometimes gives good info.

HTH.
0 Ratings
raphe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Thanks Mike.

I can ping the Vista PC from the XP one but not the other way.

0 Ratings