Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thewizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Home hub 3.0 Ethernet issues with long cable run

Hi

I have a home hub 3.0 that has You view & a Blueray player attached via Ethernet cable without any issues.

My problem is that I need to have a data point for a card machine on the other side of the house from my router, so I ran 2 quality cat 5 cables. Both cables are no more than 40-45m long. They are terminated with quality rj45 data connections (female double plugs on wall plate) at either end and then I plugged short fully populated Ethernet cables in, 1 into back of hub and other into laptop. But neither work!

If I plug laptop (I have tried 3) into Ethernet cable direct from the hub it works fine!

I have a mate that does networking as part of his job and we checked the cables with a multimeter for shorts and continuity and all is good with both cable runs. We even chopped a fully populated lead in half, bared the ends and checked this for continuity and shorts as well, and again, all is as it should be.

Cat 5 cable should be able to run 100m with out issue, so my run shouldn't be a problem.

What else can I check?

Could it be a faulty hub with weak Ethernet output?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Home hub 3.0 Ethernet issues with long cable run

It could be the ports. Have you tried checking by using the port currently connected to the You View and Blue Ray as it works.

0 Ratings
Thewizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hi, yes, I have tried moving the ports around, but the You view & Blueray work on all ports, as does the laptop on a short Ethernet cable. 

Cheers

Andy

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 20

@Thewizard does the card reader work on the short ethernet cable? Also does it need certain ports open in the Hub settings to enable it to work? Port forwarding

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Thewizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Hi, I don't have the card machine yet as don't want to get it and find it won't work.

So using the laptop to check data ports working and this works on short cable, but not on the long run. 

Cheers

Andy

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

I presume your networking friend did this but just to make sure, have you checked that your long Ethernet cable is terminated correctly.

If you check them with a meter, ie orange to orange, blue to blue etc you will get them showing no shorts and continuity will be correct but if they are terminated in the wrong sequence it will not transmit the data correctly.

It doesn't matter in what sequence you connect the coloured cables as long as it is the same at both ends. ie pin 1 orange/white pin 2 orange etc etc.

airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

It may be worth checking your wall plate sockets.

My house was rebuilt & rewired a couple of years ago with Cat6 cable throughout, the first batch of sockets I purchased were useless, if I remember correctly when I slid the cover up two of the contacts where not sticking down.

I purchased a different make and these have been trouble free.

I don't remember the make but I can probably find out if it will help you.
0 Ratings
Thewizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Hi

We used a fully populated cable that we cut in half and plugged into either end. We then checked all connections with a meter and all was good. 

My mate has a network tester that I'm borrowing on Monday. 

Cheers

Andy

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 20

One thing you need to check is whether the cable is wired straight through or crossed-over.  Most but not all ethernet devices these days will automatically detect if the wires are the wrong way round and correct for it.  You may have found some devices that can't handle that.

0 Ratings
Thewizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

It's not crossed over and neither are the leads. 

On on subject of crossed over. Could I test the cable etc by using a crossed over lead and plugging a laptop in at either end to see if they see each other?

0 Ratings