Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Home hub 3.0 Ethernet issues with long cable run

You would be far better buying a proper Ethernet tester. You can get them from about £5 upwards.

0 Ratings
Ozzig
Contributor
Message 12 of 20

In answer to ...

"On on subject of crossed over. Could I test the cable etc by using a crossed over lead and plugging a laptop in at either end to see if they see each other?"

Yes you could and chances are you won't need a cross over as most modern laptops do AutoMDIX and look after crossover for you.

0 Ratings
Thewizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Ok, plenty of activity trying to sort this.

Network tester wasn't happy and was saying that there was a cross over on one of the 2 cables and some wires were not connected on both. I used the special tool and reseated the cables, but this didn't help. My mate that lent the tester also gave me some 2nd hand data points to try, so I swapped over to these and tester said all was good (strange as wires were I exactly the same places as before!).

So I then plugged laptop into both the plugs, but it wouldn't see the network still.

My mate also lent me a switching unit to try, so I plugged this in between Hub and data point and the laptop works fine now!

I was running two laptops both streaming BBC channels without any problems. 

My mate has given me another switch to keep and so I can now proceed with getting my card machine for my workshop.

It all points to a faulty Hub with a low signal output.

Should I be getting BT to supply me a new Hub? I'm out of contract, so they will hopefully want to keep my business.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

I don't follow how you have concluded it is a faulty Homehub. If the Homehub was faulty you would not get a signal to the switching unit. I am more inclined to suspect that your cable was not wired correctly or the termination plugs are/were not connecting properly.

If you are not in contract you will need to pay for a new Homehub or re-contract to get one free and you will need to make that part of the re-contract deal as BT do not automatically include one in a re-contract.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

If you are connecting 2x 45M lengths + 2 short patch leads + 5 connections, I would think you are at about the limit for Ethernet.

0 Ratings
Thewizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

I will try and explain the situation.

Hub plugs into data point, data point then has a 40/45 metre Cat 5 cable run to another data point, another short cable to laptop.

There are 2 identical data points next to each other and the cables are run together. Both of these behave the same.

If I add the switch between the hub and data point like this - Hub plugs into switch, switch plugs into data point, data point then has a 40/45 metre Cat 5 cable run to another data point, another short cable to laptop - this works fine!

So I can not see how it can be anything else other than a low signal/power issue with hub! I'm guessing the switch must boost it or something!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

Ah, I thought you were connecting 2x45M cables together rather than 2 running in parallel. The switch will re-generate the signal, ie it will be a new signal from the switch.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Ethernet switches can boost the signal so you may well be right however I doubt you will be able to persuade BT that the Homehub is faulty if the Ethernet ports are working over what may be considered "normal" lengths.

As I have said, if you re-contract make sure you make a replacement part of the deal. I certainly would not pay for a Homehub. If you are going to spend money you would be better going for a good third party router

Thewizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Re: UPDATE - Home hub 3.0 Ethernet issues with long cable run

UPDATE

Been using the Ethernet plugs for a while now. 

Laptop works perfectly without any issues. 

Card red machine not so! There is a Ethernet symbol, white when unplugged, red when plugged in but not working and green when all is good. 

If if you plug it in and get green symbol it will work perfectly and it stays green.

if you reboot machine like I had to do many times due to configuration issues (not Ethernet related) it more often than not comes back as red. Unplugging cable and plugging back in until it is green sorts this. It then stays green. 

Friend thinks it may not be getting IP address quick enough!

Any more ideas?

Cheers

Andy

0 Ratings
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Have you tried plugging your card machine directly in to your HomeHub to test it and rule out problems with the long cable run?
0 Ratings