Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitch84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Home hub 4 and modem

Hi

Just a quick question about the new home hub 4 , does it have a modem integrated or if I get infinity do I still need to have the home hub and modem separate?

I'm aware this was the case with home hub 3 but is the the home hub 4 an all in one solution with infinity.

Cheers
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Home hub 4 and modem

No you will need a seperate modem which will be part of your install with Infinity

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

no you will, get a modem and hub4 as the modem is Openreach's property and supplied by them on install thhe hub comes from BT
0 Ratings
mitch84
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Cheers guys will they ever bring out an all in one device?
0 Ratings
Stuey3d
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Current all in one devices are blooming expensive in the order of around £200, now when they come down in price maybe BT might be able to make an all in one HomeHub that's cost effective.

I personally prefer the separate devices as in my setup the modem is one end of the room and the hub the other connected via long cat 6 Ethernet which keeps the speed at the best it can, whereas if it was an all in one device I would have to run a long telephone extension which could possibly degrade the VDSL signal resulting in more errors on the line and slower speed.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

They cost a lot in the shops over here, but in other places they are quite cheap and comparible with other routers on the market. If bt wanted they could have put a vdsl modem in the hub4 and it wouldnt added too much cost to production.

They have too many adsl customers though to make it worth combining the two.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@mitch84 wrote:
Cheers guys will they ever bring out an all in one device?

See the link in this post.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/VDSL-modem-routers-and-FTTC-self-install/m-p/780522/

and also

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/04/bt-reveals-uk-fttc-broadband-isp-self-installation-and-...

When, if ever, will it happen? Who knows?

0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 10

The supplied Openreach modem is actually a modem/router, no wireless though.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

also remember that the Openreach modem is also supplied to all isp's that provide the Openreach fibre product and if a combined product was provided all isps would needs to provide the same and the modem becomes an Openreach demarcation point when a problem occurs
0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 10 of 10

yes the openreach modem is also capable of routing without wireless but is set to just run as a modem by default and of course bt lock you out of changing the settings, thats why they need unlocking to set it as a router and to see the line stats which you cant unless it is unliocked

0 Ratings