cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phatron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 51

Re: Home hub 4 - issues

I got my fibre installed last Thursday. All was working great apart from issues with an iPad finding the correct wireless to connect to. I disabled the smart wireless and it connected no problem.

Yesterday my internet just cut off n has stopped working. My hub has a blue light and ready to go, however it is not assigning any IPs to any computer and also has zero WiFi coverage now. I pressed the reset and instead of going orange and rebooting it simply stays blue.

Phoned customer help as there was no way to resolve this. Tried multiple times to hard reset as well but nothing has worked. Blue light is on but nothing can communicate with the hub. It was explained that this shouldn't be happening and they could see my hub was online. I'm now being sent a new hh4 in the hope that I don't get issues with that. I've just moved back to BT after being with sky for years, I had no issues whatsoever with sky right from day 1. My hh4 has currently lasted 4 days before breaking. Not impressed.

I did notice I had better WiFi signal with this hub over the sky one.. But at least the sky one worked. I'm hoping the hub comes tomorrow as promised and if not then I'll be back on the phone to them.
0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 22 of 51

@phatron wrote:
I got my fibre installed last Thursday. All was working great apart from issues with an iPad finding the correct wireless to connect to. I disabled the smart wireless and it connected no problem.

Yesterday my internet just cut off n has stopped working. My hub has a blue light and ready to go, however it is not assigning any IPs to any computer and also has zero WiFi coverage now. I pressed the reset and instead of going orange and rebooting it simply stays blue.

Phoned customer help as there was no way to resolve this. Tried multiple times to hard reset as well but nothing has worked. Blue light is on but nothing can communicate with the hub. It was explained that this shouldn't be happening and they could see my hub was online. I'm now being sent a new hh4 in the hope that I don't get issues with that. I've just moved back to BT after being with sky for years, I had no issues whatsoever with sky right from day 1. My hh4 has currently lasted 4 days before breaking. Not impressed.

I did notice I had better WiFi signal with this hub over the sky one.. But at least the sky one worked. I'm hoping the hub comes tomorrow as promised and if not then I'll be back on the phone to them.

This does sound like a HH4 issue. Can you keep us updated on how things progress please.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
phatron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 51

Well I called on Monday and was promised my new HH4 to be here within 24/48 hours. Today it still had not arrived so I called them up. After lengthy discussions and them explaining that it was delivered on the 18th, I then had to explain that's impossible as I only made the call on the 23rd.. eventually it turns out my order was cancelled due to a "technical problem". I wasn't impressed with that answer so asked that they placed a new order and that I would like to speak to the supervisor to complain. 

My complaint was not that I had not recieved the HH4, the complain was that I would have been sitting waiting on something arriving that was never going to arrive unless I picked up the phone and asked about it. 

The order has now been supposedly placed. So I shall wait and see. 

in the mean time I went out and bought a Netgear N300 router and it's working perfectly fine. 

Once the HH4 arrives I'm in two minds about whether or not I will use it or I may just continue with my netgear. I bought the netgear as a backup so if the HH4 does break again at least I can still be online. 

Will plug in the HH4 when it arrives and see if I get any issues, may use it for a week or so. But the netgear, which is a brand I've used in the past was a doddle to setup and is giving me everything I need. The wireless coverage is just as good as it was with the HH4. 

0 Ratings
jren207
Contributor
Message 24 of 51

I got a HH (HH3) when I signed up to BT because I got it for free, but usually the routers you are given by ISPs are inferior.

I've actually built my own router using a small low power computer, and it runs rings around any typical router.

I'm not saying you need to build your own, but I'd only really keep the HH as a test router should your connection go wrong. BT will only support you if you're using their HH, so don't sell/dispose of it when you get it.

Use the Netgear.

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 25 of 51

@jren207 wrote:

I got a HH (HH3) when I signed up to BT because I got it for free, but usually the routers you are given by ISPs are inferior.

I've actually built my own router using a small low power computer, and it runs rings around any typical router.

I'm not saying you need to build your own, but I'd only really keep the HH as a test router should your connection go wrong. BT will only support you if you're using their HH, so don't sell/dispose of it when you get it.

Use the Netgear.

Sounds interesting " built my own router using a small low power computer ", do you want to share via a private mail to me?

"BT will only support you if you're using their HH, so don't sell/dispose of it when you get it" this is so important but I would use the Netgear as you have it.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gwyndaf246
Beginner
Message 26 of 51

I have an issue whereby both my Jailbroken Apple TV dont seem to work with HH4. They are up to date and to be safe I connected to a neighbours house and they worked fine. Some applications work others dont such as Icefilms 1 Channel, sports devil and NaviX.

Its definitely a router problem as eliminated everything else. Has anyone had similar problems and more importantly know how to overcome it.

0 Ratings
ianon
Beginner
Message 27 of 51

I would avoid the Home Hub 4 if you plan to use it wirelessly.

My Home Hub 4 loses 50% bandwidth when operated wirelessly with my laptop sitting right next to the Hub. Move upstairs and the loss is even greater.

BT have finally admitted that this is a known issue affecting a number of Home HUb 4 customers, after spending the day telling me there were no known issues, and that they did not support or guarantee wireless connectivity. All this with a product advertised as "The UK's most reliable wireless connection across all your devices".

BT's only offered solutions are for me to use an Ethernet cable, or cancel the service 😕

0 Ratings
SteveP23
Contributor
Message 28 of 51

I've had three HH3 and as of today am being sent my second HH4.  I get around half an hour to an hour of 38m down with 6 or so up then bang wireless drops, packets drop jitter goes up and generally the service is unuseable.  

I bought a USB dual band dongle today to see if that helped but sadly no.  I just get the impression that the HH3/4 are completely flakey when it comes down to wireless.  I'm slowly realising I may have to shell out for a new (non BT Router) to see if that will help.

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 29 of 51

@ianon wrote:

I would avoid the Home Hub 4 if you plan to use it wirelessly.

My Home Hub 4 loses 50% bandwidth when operated wirelessly with my laptop sitting right next to the Hub. Move upstairs and the loss is even greater.

BT have finally admitted that this is a known issue affecting a number of Home HUb 4 customers, after spending the day telling me there were no known issues, and that they did not support or guarantee wireless connectivity. All this with a product advertised as "The UK's most reliable wireless connection across all your devices".

BT's only offered solutions are for me to use an Ethernet cable, or cancel the service 😕

I'm getting about 65 Mbps out of my Home Hub 4 download speeds and about 15 Mbps upstream currently with no real issues. I do have two separate SSID's one for the 2.4 Ghz and one for the 5 Ghz.

It seems to work well.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 30 of 51

Just wanted to pop in a positive note about the HH4, with all these negative remarkes floating about so not too put new peeps off getting one!. I have had it for a while now and have had improved speeds and no problems as of yet, I am so glad I spent the £35.00 on it. It puts the HH3 in its place in every way, in my opinion that is, so much easier to set up and so much better!. 🙂

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings