cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ravon2109
Beginner
Message 1 of 51

Home hub 4 - issues

since setting up 2 days ago i have had permanent issues and now reverted back to hub3b.

first problem was upload speed dropped to 0.01mb of my 20mb - googled found it was a common problem and the solution was "several restarts" - it worked, several restarts later and upload speed was back up to 18mb.

next issue is with android phone running jelly bean - happily watching netflix and then starts to buffer have to turn off wireless on phone and turn back on again to regain connection (this never happened with hub 3) this is the new hub 4 with dual band which reduces drop out..!!.

this morning blue light on and showing as connected but on pc cannot access any web pages, restarted 4 times , still thinks its connected but cannot browse.

changed back to hub3 type B and all ok again.

BT this thing seriously needs some updates to make it work properly.

FYI i'm connecting through an huawei fttp o.n.t and running an 80/20mb service. o.n.t has been in sync' the whole time and when switching back to hub3 there are no issues at all. i am connecting with wired and wireless devices and issues are exactly the same with : a windows 7 pc, a windows 8 pc and and android jelly bean on galaxy note 2lte.

The only problem can be the hub4 - BT please fix it cos it looks wicked but certainly does not do what it says on the tin, a real shame..

Regards.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 51

Re: Home hub 4 - issues

Hi ravon2109 your issues where very similar to what I experienced with the hh4 got it weds this week after having it in use less than 48 hrs was fed up with various problems with loss of speed and poor wifi performance and reverted back to my hh3b and all problems stopped and my speeds went back to normal so phoned bt complained and they have agreed I can return it for a refund which I am going to do sticking with my trusty hh3b for the foreseeable future as I don't see the hh4 as a good replacement at the moment ?
0 Ratings
ravon2109
Beginner
Message 3 of 51

i'll certainly keep hold of it and try it in 3 or 6 months.

Once they've accepted it has issues , fixed them and sent out a update for it then i'm sure it will be fine.

Periodic trying will be the only way to find out if/when they fix it and get it going properly.

fingers crossed for the very near future.

0 Ratings
Jaseb41
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 51

I was thinking of doing that too but. Think I just got used to the hh3b only had infinity 2 for 2 months previously with sky fibre and there sky hub being new last year did not have the problems the hh4 has had, can honestly say not had one problem with the hh3b I know a lot of people complain about it but I think it's a good bit of kit, so sticking with it for now !
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 5 of 51

I have had similar problems but have found a working solution. I have change the wifi settings to separate the 2 wifi outputs. I have named them so I can identify each one and connected 5GHz devices to one and everything else to the other. I have one cell phone which although 5GHz it doesn't seem to want to play.

I have also unsynchronized the wireless frequencies and this seems to have resolved the issues.

I agree that I should not have to do this but it does work and give me a higher wireless speed, although reduced distance.

I'm using a 160/20 connection with multicast active.
0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
Message 6 of 51

@ravon2109 wrote:

since setting up 2 days ago i have had permanent issues and now reverted back to hub3b.

first problem was upload speed dropped to 0.01mb of my 20mb - googled found it was a common problem and the solution was "several restarts" - it worked, several restarts later and upload speed was back up to 18mb.

next issue is with android phone running jelly bean - happily watching netflix and then starts to buffer have to turn off wireless on phone and turn back on again to regain connection (this never happened with hub 3) this is the new hub 4 with dual band which reduces drop out..!!.

this morning blue light on and showing as connected but on pc cannot access any web pages, restarted 4 times , still thinks its connected but cannot browse.

changed back to hub3 type B and all ok again.

BT this thing seriously needs some updates to make it work properly.

FYI i'm connecting through an huawei fttp o.n.t and running an 80/20mb service. o.n.t has been in sync' the whole time and when switching back to hub3 there are no issues at all. i am connecting with wired and wireless devices and issues are exactly the same with : a windows 7 pc, a windows 8 pc and and android jelly bean on galaxy note 2lte.

The only problem can be the hub4 - BT please fix it cos it looks wicked but certainly does not do what it says on the tin, a real shame..

Regards.

ravon2109 - I have had the Home Hub 3 since it came out (basically the Monday after it was announced) had no issues at all with it - either wireless or Ethernet. There have been two firmware upgrades in that time which I believe fix some minor issues. When the Home Hub 4 is shipped then it is shipped with a firmware version that is not necessarily the latest product version. You will almost certainly get a newer version downloaded and installed a couple of days after you install the Home Hub 4.

ravon2109 - I noticed that you said that you were on a Huawei FTTC DSLAM,  @Jaseb41 do you know which FTTC equipment that you are on?

The solution that "hippey" has mentioned has been used by a number of people and it does seem to fix their issues.

ravon2109 - don't assume that the issue is with the Home Hub 4. I had a similar issue with HTC phone on a Vodafone Suresignal which in the end we found the the SureSignal was working correctly but the HTC phone had not implemented some of the features of the standard correctly which cause issues when the phones tried to connect to the SureSignal version 2.

It is a minefield when connecting with any form of wireless technology.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
meridius
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 51

Where do u find the firmware version in the homehub4

Thanks
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2759601729.png[/IMG][/URL]
0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 51

You'll see your current hub firmware version at the bottom of any of the hub pages.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Inspector
Beginner
Message 9 of 51

Hi,

I ordered the BT Home Hub 4 and as it was an upgrade I had to pay £35.00 plus £6.00 postage.  I received it and set it up.   It worked fine.....for a while.   Within 2 days it dropped the connection 4 times.  I got in touch with the helpline and spoke to one of their advisors.  He told me that the home hub was sent to customers on a TRIAL BASIS and BT were aware that there were numerous problems with the hub.   He offered to send me a replacement saying  "Hopefully the replacement will have a updated software".   I agreed to this and at the moment am waiting on my replacement.  Unfortunately I send the old Home Hub 3 back to BT for recycling the day I received the new one.   So if the new replacement does not work I am going to have to go through the whole procedure again.  Nowhere on the order, confirmation of order or on BT website does it state that the Home Hub 4 is sold as a trial item.    Good one BT....

I will keep you posted as to the outcome of this.

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 51

Hi Inspector and welcome to the forums.

The hub would of been tested by selected trialists before it went on the market. They would of been issued it for free.

I would assume this did happen, so what the advisor told you must be wrong. If it transpires that what you've been told is true, then BT have handled this very badly IMHO.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings