cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roger69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Home hub 4 out of date firmware

I have been having problems with broadband recently (low speeds, highly variable) and whilst checking things out at http://bthomehub.home/ I discovered that my Home Hub 4 has the following firmware:- 

BT Home Hub 4 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.17 | Last updated 08/05/14.

But according to the website it should be:-

BT Home Hub 4 - Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26 (Type A).

The website says this should update automatically, but it seems to me it has never updated at all. I have tried turning the hub on and off and restarting it, any other suggestions?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
shamus1
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home hub 4 out of date firmware

my hub 4 is not updating either exactly as you have said?

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 3 of 12

maybe one of the mods could look in to if we will get the update?

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

@roger69 wrote:

I have been having problems with broadband recently (low speeds, highly variable) and whilst checking things out at http://bthomehub.home/ I discovered that my Home Hub 4 has the following firmware:- 

BT Home Hub 4 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.17 | Last updated 08/05/14.

But according to the website it should be:-

BT Home Hub 4 - Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.26 (Type A).

The website says this should update automatically, but it seems to me it has never updated at all. I have tried turning the hub on and off and restarting it, any other suggestions?

Based on some posts it appears that the new firmware has problems.  This seems to have stopped the roll out.

It would be useful if the moderators could confirm this.

The 130.1.17 firmware has been performing well for over a year with only the data count reset problem being the major issue so it is unlikely to be the cause of your "low speeds, highly variable".

Have you set up  your Hub as recommended below:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/kw/Apple%20and%20Home%20Hub%204/c/346,7474,7477

roger69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Thank you for that reply, unfortunately the problems I am having are the same with the ethernet connected PC, so I suspect not a wifi problem. Bt engineers have looked at the wiring which they say is not brilliant but OK. My band speed has dropped from 5-7Mb (were it has been for 4 months to 3Mb, no use for netflix etc) and last week it was down to 0.4Mb for 3 days. That is even with the HH4 pluged straight into the test socket on the master phone connector. Bt say 3Mb is within their acceptable range and that superfast is not available.

Any other suggestions?

Just why will my hub not update it's software, is a probelm with the HH4 or in an exchange somewhere? Is my basic problem something else?

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

@roger69 wrote:

Thank you for that reply, unfortunately the problems I am having are the same with the ethernet connected PC, so I suspect not a wifi problem. Bt engineers have looked at the wiring which they say is not brilliant but OK. My band speed has dropped from 5-7Mb (were it has been for 4 months to 3Mb, no use for netflix etc) and last week it was down to 0.4Mb for 3 days. That is even with the HH4 pluged straight into the test socket on the master phone connector. Bt say 3Mb is within their acceptable range and that superfast is not available.

Any other suggestions?

Just why will my hub not update it's software, is a probelm with the HH4 or in an exchange somewhere? Is my basic problem something else?

The reason your Hub has not updated it's firmware is likely to be because BT have not sent the firmware to the Hub.
If you regularly check your TR069 log entries in the Troubleshooting section of your Home Hub Manager you will see when the Firmware has been downloaded to the Hub.  It is the installed when the Hub is automatically rebooted.  As I have said above BT appear to have halted this process hopefully to fix the problems with the "new" firmware.

Your problem is unlikely to be because of the old firmware.

You need to do a BTWholesale speed test including the "further diagnostics" and compare that with BT ADSL prediction for your phone line.  If these differ significantly then you have a problem that BT should fix.  What is acceptable to BT should not be taken as acceptable to you.  

If you need further assistance post the Wholesale and Adsl figures with personal details such as your phone number removed. If you search the forum particularly the ADSL copper connection section you should find some useful information.

roger69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Thanks again for that.

I have followed the instructions for the BT performance tester.

It gives download of 3.8, upload of 0.38 and ping of 41.0 (avaerage of 3).

However, despite repeated attempts it will not run the further diagnostics tests, just says the test is unable to run at present and try later.

Am I doing something wrong?

0 Ratings
roger69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Just checked the hub boot log which has always been the same:-

( 14.220000) Booting firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.17 (Type A)

Counting back through the months that would appears to be January 2012, is that possible with an HH4?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

the btspeedtester diagnostic test can be very temperamental and you are not doing anything wrong.  just persevere and even try a different browser and see if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
roger69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Thank you for the comments, just how temperamental is the BT diagnostic, I have tried it 8 times over the last day and still it says it can't run at this time.

0 Ratings