cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Home hub 6 and using a wired network

Hi

i am moving into a new house next week. Bt install is all booked. Currently the master socket is under the stairs and the current owner has an open reach modem plugged in there.  He then plugs the modem into a wall network socket as the house has cat 5 wiring.  He has his router in the loft and plugged into a server to get maximum range.   

I'll be getting a home hub 6 which I understand does not need the modem so how do I make the best use of the cat 5 wiring in the house?

thanks

josh

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home hub 6 and using a wired network

Stick your home hub where he currently has his modem. Stick a network switch where he currently has his router.

Possibly the "server" that you mention is in fact a network switch.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks. Unfortunately where he has his modem is under the stairs won't that impact the range of the home hub? Ideally I want the signal to go 30meters to an annex above the garage.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Install a wireless access point at one of the cat5 outlets.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

The hub should ideally be at the master socket, you want as little RJ11 as possible for an optimal connection. Cat5 on the other hand is great for extending the LAN, so it sounds like a great setup.

Why don't you wait and see what kind of signal you get in the annex, you might be surprised. If you find it's too low then the cat5 gives you an easy option of adding another access point (you won't need a repeater or extender, as these use the existing WiFi signal)

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

HI all,

quick update.  BT is now installed.  The BT engineer had no interest in connecting the hub to the wired network.  Not complaining, its not his job after all.  So The homehub was installed to the master socket under the stairs and then I added the BT whole home wifi disc things.  Reasonable connection through the house.

Today Sky came to fit sky Q and the engineer noticed the ethernet ports in the wall.  Long story made short he plugged the home hub into the ethernet wall socket.  Put a sky q booster in the loft and moved one of my whole home discs up there both connected to the rack of ethernet ports.  He then told me to buy an ethernet switch and a load of cables.  He said then a simple job to unplug the whole home disk from the rack, plug into the new ethernet switch and then run patch cables from the switch to each of the ports on the rack.  he said then all the ethernet ports in the house would then be active.  He even found a map of the house in the loft with notes on which port from the rack goes where.

I tipped him to say thanks.

Hope he is right!  Ethernet switch on order.

Josh

0 Ratings