Beginner
Message 161 of 192

Re: Home hub 6 not so smart

0 Ratings
Wildoat
Contributor
Message 162 of 192

New firmware: SG4B10002244 installed today so will report back if an improvement.

Cheers. W.

0 Ratings
Mrlist
Beginner
Message 163 of 192

Well after many many phone calls to an appalling call center with staff who simply do not understand English and 4 new hubs later they finally confirmed to me to-day that at their call center they are overwhelmed with complaints regarding Hub6. Yes BT are fully aware.There it is!! BT Know!!  However its only dealt with on a case by case basis. If like me you complain enough they will eventually recommend reverting back to a hub5!! This I have done and was refunded my £50. This hub is not confirmed as ready and anyone reading this will almost certainly experience problems with drop outs and loss of service. I await BT to confirm latest update > SG4B10002244> is the awaited fix... I somehow do not think so.   I will update here once i know officially.Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
CAA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 164 of 192

Well the new firmware went on my Smarthub on December 24 and it has hardly worked since, constantly reboots, loses connection and wifi is hopeless. Prior to firmware upgrade it worked fine !! BT also told me they are aware of the issue - that's all right then !

0 Ratings
utterlyastonished
Contributor
Message 165 of 192

Good luck, don't hold your breath. The hub 6 is pants and so are BT. Total mess and totally out of their depth trying to handle complaints. I am waiting to see what refund they will attribute to my next bill because of loss of service. My guess is they won't because it would have got lost in the farce that is the call centre. I can't be bothered chasing it if it doesn't happen. I have just resigned myself to putting up with the snake oil sales charlatans until the end of my contract and then switching to someone who actually gives a **bleep** about their customers. DONT USE BT THEY ARE AWFUL.
0 Ratings
Mrlist
Beginner
Message 166 of 192

Yes! It seems BT are not bothered at all! its hi-time they recalled all Hub 6s and concentrate on getting the technology sorted first. Signing up new contracts with a known useless product should be challenged! I've been with BT for over 20 years and they have steadily become more and more useless! ...... time to move to a better provider in 2017.
0 Ratings
Mrlist
Beginner
Message 167 of 192

I totally agree! Hub 6 is a joke and BT likewise. Time to move on.....
0 Ratings
impster
Contributor
Message 168 of 192

Thankfully I have access (temporarily) to a HH5, as the 2 HH6 units sent to me are useless.

Amazing that BT think they can simply keep sending out useless equipment when there is quite obviously a huge problem with the smarthub. Just looking through BT's own forum pages (these pages!) makes it plainly obvious there is a nationwide problem here.

Astonishingly  -  not a peep from BT to acknowledge the problem(s) or to give us customers any indication of what they are doing about it.

Shockingly poor customer service. Wish I'd gone to another provider now.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 169 of 192

@impsterwrites:
> "Amazing that BT think they can simply keep sending out useless equipment ..."

It's unlikely that they actually think that, even when it may seem so sometimes. Companies have a substantial duty of care in this country, especially large public-facing ones, as our consumer laws are quite strong.

The problem in this case probably stems from the lack of any precedent for this situation. After all, companies do not plan for large-scale team failure such as when a product has broken out of the jail of development quality control, because teams are not meant to fail in this way. It's definitely not "business as usual", so management is probably hoping anxiously that this thing doesn't blow up in their faces, publicly. As a result, the silence is deafening.

Customers would be entirely in their legal right though to voice their displeasure, loudly. BT has just been really lucky so far that after months of pain, many people are buying 3rd party routers instead of exercising their consumer rights with added fanfare. 😛

0 Ratings
trapdoor
Expert
Message 170 of 192

@MorgaineD wrote:

Customers would be entirely in their legal right though to voice their displeasure, loudly. BT has just been really lucky so far that after months of pain, many people are buying 3rd party routers instead of exercising their consumer rights with added fanfare. 😛

The problem is though that BT (as in any of the offshore call centre staff) have zero concept of UK consumer rights and will swear black is white when you challenge them and demand refunds/compo etc. Even when lodging a formal complaint to BT, their only concern is closing the complaint in any way they can coerce you, rather than actually dealing with the root issue. The concept appears to be to wear down the consumer to the point they just get so fed up of the daily harassment calls from 'the customer care complaints management team' that the case is closed.

Whilst the U.K. Management team somewhere in the bowels of the BT bunker may be hoping this doesn't blow up on them, it is clear that the instruction getting passed to the call centres is to deny liability, deny the issue, blame the customer wherever possible and keep pushing out the faulty stock whilst hoping some bright spark in the (presumably tiny and underfunded) development team can get a working firmware image out before the whole of the customer base on the HH6 kicks off en-mass about the problem. Remember, corporately they have a huge amount of money tied up in this thing, not only in the stock of hardware but in the development cost and the massive advertising campaign they ran (and are still running?) on the 'best home wifi router ever'.

What I just don't get is why the dud firmware hasn't been pulled from the distribution server - why continue to break factory fresh SmartHubs that do actually work OK? Mine worked for months on the original May 16 firmware, and only started causing issues after the first and subsequent updates were applied to it. People who get replacement hubs claim the problem fixed until the inevitable update happens a few days after it's plugged in. What is SO important in this firmware that BT can't just pull the plug on updates and roll back to the known good working firmware? Something to do with the Government snooping bill now active perhaps? 

0 Ratings