cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tpaterson
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Home hub/Windows 10 Problem

PC is Dell Inspiron 3521. Router is Homehub 5 type A.

I tried to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 via wifi connection but had to cancel before the upgrade finished. Shortly after that, I discovered that wifi had stopped working (now back on 8.1).  However I pressed on and installed W10 via the wired connection and all seemed OK apart from wifi still not working.  I can see the router name but when I try to connect, I get the message 'can't connect to this network'.  It doesn't even ask for the network password.

I have an iPAD and an old Linux desktop which quite happily connect wirelessly and the Dell communicates OK via Ethernet. The wierd thing is that the Dell works wirelessly on my son's talk talk router.

I don't have VPN software activated on the Dell, so I don't think that the suggestion on the Microsoft site to edit the Registry is relevant. Device Manager doesn't show a problem with the wifi card and I have tried updating/changing the network card driver with no success.

There is obviously a breakdown between the Dell and the Homehub but I've now reached the limit of my knowledge and expertise.  Can someone help please?

tp

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Home hub/Windows 10 Problem

The first thing I would try would be to uninstall the network card via device manager and restart the laptop and let Windows find it and re-install it.

0 Ratings
captain666
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Home hub/Windows 10 Problem

This is what I had to do with one of my pc's.  I have 3 x pc's and updated them to windows 10 at the same time.  I did do this via a wired connection.  I had no issues with 2 x pc's.  The other didn't recognise my network card.  I did try uninstallinbg/restart pc by no joy. I did get it working again by downloading the windows 7 driver for the card and it's back working again (not bad for a 10 year old pc)

0 Ratings