cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caliandris
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Home hub calls suddenly being charged to landline - help!

I've had a BT broadband account for years, and opted for a home hub phone and pay a fee to have anytime calls on the home hub as well as Option 3 broadband.

A couple of months ago our home hub phone went missing and has not turned up, and so I had to buy a replacement, which I set up following the instructions which came with it.

There has been no problem with outgoing calls, but incoming calls are going straight to voicemail, which was strange, and I couldn't understand why.

Today I discovered that the home hub phone seems to be charging calls to our landline number and not our home hub number.  I don't know why, and I don't know what to do about it. 

I have queried the bill, by sending an email, because I went around and around and around in circles on the website.

I have tried to find out what I can do about this on the "report a fault" part of the website, but I am not finding much to help me.

My bill is now £100 more than I expected.  Not only that, but looking at my home hub bill for the last quarter, I am being charged for home hub calls made on the home hub number as well, even though I am supposed to have an anytime account.  I know I am charged for calls to mobiles, but charges to landlines are showing up too.  I don't understand what's going on at all.  Billing and the website seems to get ever more complex, and I spend a very frustrating time going up blind alleys and having to start over again.

I am an experienced user of internet and a lot of complex programs... I don't understand why it has to be soooo hard.  Help, please!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home hub calls suddenly being charged to landline - help!

Is the "phone"light lit on your home hub? If not, then broadband talk is not enabled.
If you have not used it for a few months then the number may have been ceased.
0 Ratings
Caliandris
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

You're right, it isn't lit.  It WAS lit, and since we got the replacement phone, but it isn't now.

I have received a reply from BT saying that I  should have been dialling 5 to switch between landline and home hub... but why, suddenly?  I have been using the home hub telephone perfectly well for several years.  Why has it suddenly become necessary to dial 5.

Frustratingly, I can't reply to the email I have received and if I am not satisfied by the response I have to complain again on the website.  This is SO flipping frustrating and annoying.  I can't afford an extra £100, either.

I use thousands of websites a week, I don't know why BT's website has to be so poorly designed and the company so remote.  I feel sure it would take a lot less effort, and reduce customer's blood pressure, if it was more user-friendly.

What do I do now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

You only need to dial "5" if you want to route calls over the normal PSTN line.
As your broadband talk is not working, then the default is the PSTN line.

You can check to see if your broadband talk account is still active by going to

Broadband Talk: https://service.btbroadbandvoice.bt.com/selfcare/consumerYourAccount

If your account is still active, then resetting the home hub can sometimes restore the "phone" light.

There is also an option on that page to re-configure your equipment.

Normally an account will be deleted if you have not used broadband talk for about three months, however you normally get a warning e-mail.

You may have to ask BT to give you a new broadband talk number.

0 Ratings
Caliandris
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I don't really understand this at all.  First of all our home hub number *can't* have been inactive for more than three months - I have a bill due 27 October which is showing phone calls on our home hub line. 

Secondly, I can't understand how the home hub phone is "connected" to our landline.  Our landline phone is not a wireless phone, and is connected to the system via a cable.  The only way the wireless home hub phone can be connected is through the home hub?   So how has it become confused with the landline? 

Before we got a replacement handset everything worked fine, and I never had a problem with the phone connecting to the landline number - the two things were separate and couldn't be confused.  All that B are doing is repesatedly sending me to the website to look at the same bill, over and over.  I understand that they have been charging us at landline rates for the phone calls on our home hub, what I don't at all understand is how or why this is happening.

Is there any right of protest or dispute?  And who can tell me why it has happened?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

The landline is routed through the internal circuitry of the home hub and will be used by the hub phone, or the phone socket on the back of the hub, when broadband talk is not available.

Because the home hub is connected to the landline, both the landline and the broadband signal is processed by the hub.

The broadband output of your microfilter is simply a passive connection.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

The Home Hub can occasionally glitch and lose the Broadband Talk settings.  When that happens, it simply routes all calls to the land line.

The site http://www.bt.com/bbt can be used to re-configure Broadband Talk again.

0 Ratings
Caliandris
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thank you very much for the information enabling me to reactivate the phone. I'm not sure whether it has successfully reser, it took me to a blank page, and the light hasn't come back on....

Is there anything I can do about the unexpected bill?  It seems completely wrong that the homehub could switch from its normal number and start ringing out on the landline.  I didn't even know this was possible.  Thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

I would assume that it hasn't worked unless the phone light is back on. You should have ended up at a page asking you for the phone number and a password (which you probably won't remember!).

When the process works, the phone light will come on again.
0 Ratings
Caliandris
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I did get the page and the request for a password, which I duly filled in, but then it took me to a blank page.  The light hasn't relit.

No one has responded to my question about whether I am saddled with these additional charges.  If I had realised that the home hub phone could suddenly switch to the landline number, and charge me accordingly I would have stopped using it, of course.  Plus, I been paying an extra amount each month to have free anytime calls to landlines... a payment which is utterly worthless if the home hub is running on the landline number.

I had an initial reply on the complaint I made about it, which referred me to the bill I had already seen.  When I went back with the same issue it asked me for the reference number, which I duly supplied, bu gave me a new reference number anyway, which seems a bit silly.

I still say that this should not be possible without some sort of warning to the user.  It seems entirely wrong that I could be switched from one number to the other without my knowledge.

0 Ratings