Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 43

Re: Home hub4

@DarrenB wrote:
Imjolly - Desktop Help has not "managed" wireless connection for over 4 years now. It sets the wireless using the windows wireless manager. Once setup it's all left to windows to manage.

then why does it cause problems with wireless connections?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 43

good question imj
0 Ratings
DarrenB
Contributor
Message 33 of 43

Can I have an example please?
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 43

just search the other queries board

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Wireless-Connection-Problems-for-Home-Hub-3-and-...

it may have changed if there is no longer a cd but now built into the hub - do you have something that says bt help no longer affects wifi

it will still affect anyone keeping and using old cd

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DarrenB
Contributor
Message 35 of 43

Hi imjolly. In that thread the customer used the CD to attempt his setup.

The setup process that runs directly from the CD is not actually Desktop Help.

Desktop Help is installed via the CD in the background. But is not actually used for the initial wireless/wired setup.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 43

did you find the section which says the bt cd or help does nor affect wifi any more

0 Ratings
DarrenB
Contributor
Message 37 of 43

I can't comment on the CD setup as that is different from the Desktop Help application. But like you say the CD is no longer supplied with new Hubs.

I'm not sure what you're asking for in terms of Desktop Help not affecting Wireless anymore. When a customer uses Desktop help to troubleshoot a connection issue and asks for Wifi credentials it sends those to the Window Wireless Manager. So its handled the same as just going directly to the windows wireless manager.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 43

assuming you are correct the wifi problem only affects people who still have and use the BT CD and I will bear that in mind

0 Ratings
DarrenB
Contributor
Message 39 of 43

I'm not saying Desktop Help is 100% perfect, it does have problems from time to time.

There just seems to be a misconception that all problems are because Desktop Help is installed, when on some occasions it's not even Desktop Help being used.

BT tries to have a unified look and feel across its products so it's easy to understand how the confusion can arise.
0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 43

@DarrenB wrote:
I'm not saying Desktop Help is 100% perfect, it does have problems from time to time.

There just seems to be a misconception that all problems are because Desktop Help is installed, when on some occasions it's not even Desktop Help being used.

BT tries to have a unified look and feel across its products so it's easy to understand how the confusion can arise.

If I may....

Surely if it's not 100% perfect then shouldn't it be removed until it is?

The problem that we (customers) have witnessed is when we ask (other customers) if they have this installed and they say they have, we can sometimes advise them to remove this. After they do, the reported problem solves itself. Obviously, those whom didn't install it have another cause.

(not bragging here at all) - When word got out that I help on the BT Care Community Forums in my area, people have approached me for help. Some say they can't understand the help desk advisors, so give up, some don't understand the jargon thrown at them, so they give up too, some don't want a stranger remotely accessing their equipment, so don't bother. I have on a few occasions visually witnessed the good old 'Limited Connection scenario' plus other wifi related issues (and other non wifi related issues) and when BTDH is removed they then have a connection and never come back for further help. I must stress that any help I give is free and totally at my own cost.

Now whether it's off a CD or a download I don't know, but my gut feeling was due to a non Microsoft utility trying to control such a utility.

Anyway, that's what the BT R&D team are for;).

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings