Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mike2710
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Home network

I have recently changed to BT broadband and my home network is now not functioning. I have 2 wired desktops running XP and a laptop with Windows 7. All have internet connections and if I look at hub manager is correctly identifies all of them. I have setup a home network workgroup and all machines are set to the corrects workgroup name. I have enabled file sharing and shared drives. I have switched off my Norton firewall and gone back to the windows one. Despite all this I cannot get the machines to see each other. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Mike2710
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: Home network

I should make clear that I previously had a Sky hub and home networking worked ok

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 3 of 22

@Mike2710 wrote:

I should make clear that I previously had a Sky hub and home networking worked ok

I see no reason why the Hub should affect home networking. Type A or B Hub? Can you ping each ip address from 1 machine then do the same again on another, also check each machine has an ip assigned via the hub and not auto. I know this sounds basic but sometimes its easier to go back to the beginning.

Networking XP and Windows 7 is the same as XP and Vista there is a patch that can be applied to the XP machines, however saying that can the XP machines see other on the network? (my XP has become somewhat rusty as I have moved to Windows 7 both at home and school).

0 Ratings
Mike2710
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

It is a type B hub. IPs are assigned sequentially from the hub. I can ping each machine from the others but cannot see the machines or files when I double click 'my network places' in Internet Explorer.

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 5 of 22

It appears the Hub suffers from some sort of ip routing see message 22 on this thread http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/HomeHub-2-Xbox360-and-media-streaming-from-ReadyNAS-Duo-Why-DI...

However, we can try another way, at least for the xp machines, navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc in this folder there should be a file called hosts, open it using notepad, if there is a prompt box to 'Always use this program to open this file' remove the tick.

The file will give some examples, at the end of file add the ip address and computer name of the other xp computer, save it, if it saves with a .txt extension, right click, rename and remove the .txt extension.....the file should have a white icon. 

Start the other xp machine and reboot the one with amended hosts file, now hopefully the machine with the amended hosts file should now see the other xp machine.

To get Windows 7 and XP to play together you will need to download and install this for information why have a look here whilst this looks at vista and xp its the same for Windows 7.

0 Ratings
Mike2710
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

I think I have addressed the windows 'layer topology' problem. When I tried to install it I got a message that this was already installed via a previous windows update. This seems to suggest it should no longer be a problem?

I am reluctant to go the 'hosts' file route as I do not completely understand it and am also worried that automatic address allocation by the hub may screw it up anyway.

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 7 of 22

On the type B hub under home network, I take it there is an option to 'always use this ip address' if there is set it to yes for each pc. On the home network side do you 'see' the computer name or it's mac address? under the dhcp table.

0 Ratings
Mike2710
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 22

There does not seem to be any option to always use the IP address, only to 'reset to default' or to 'disable DHCP server'. Under Home Network there are three tabs - devices, IP addresses and DHCP table.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 22

Mike

There is...

and you're so close.

From the Home Network screen, you'll see the devices connected by Physical Connections or Wireless Connections.

Below these headings, you should see the relevant devices. These will have blue text. Left click on each of the (blue text) devices and the option to always use is there.

Hope this helps?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 10 of 22

@Mike2710 wrote:

There does not seem to be any option to always use the IP address, only to 'reset to default' or to 'disable DHCP server'. Under Home Network there are three tabs - devices, IP addresses and DHCP table.

Select the DHCP table, you should see 4 columns, Device....MAC Address....IP Address.....Lease Time, under Device each pc is hyperlink, click on the link to bring up info re that pc and it will be in there......also under Device is the name of the pc or its mac address?

0 Ratings