cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wingman
Message 1 of 6

HomeHub 2.0 power save feature

Hi All -- the objective of this post is 2fold: 1. provide information (I hope) & 2. seek clarification

1. Like many people my broadband speed got worse earlier this year & a visit from the BT engineer confirmed that our internal house wiring was fine. During his own tests he was gobsmacked that I could get an internet connection (via ethernet cable to hub) even though the power light was lit orange & no other lights were on. The hub was in power save mode at the time but working fine! Even when the hub is in power save mode the wireless hub telephone works even though the phone light is not lit at all. A wifi connection won't work though.

2. What is actually the benefit of power save mode?! In fact since the BT engineer visited in March the IP profile has been dropping from his start point of 1750Kbps after he raised a call with the Exchange, then it was down to 1500 for the rest of March, by May 1st it was 1250 iand today it was only 750.

My assertion is as follows: when entering 'power save' mode the hub connection elapsed time is reset back to zero. If this is the situation does it mean that the BT Exchange thinks that there is a line problem & adjusts the IP profile down?? I just pressed the <restart> button on the hub and the elapsed time connection is now 10 minuties.

What is the general advice regarding 'power save' mode or switching off the power to the hub router in order to maximise the ip Profile please.

~~ take care be safe and have a great life ~~
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: HomeHub 2.0 power save feature

As far as I'm aware the power save mode only turns off the wifi signal and a few LEDS, other than that you can still surf if connected via ethernet cables and make calls etc.

I can't really see any benefit with the power save mode really it won't cause any issue's with your IP profile. Providing you're not constantly resetting or powering on and off your hub every few minutes, switching off your hub at the end of the day won't affect your profile.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

From the BT web site.

What is BT Power Save?

BT Power Save lets you choose a time period every day when the wireless signal on your BT Home Hub 2.0 is switched off to save power.

Computers and other devices using wireless to access the Internet on your home network will lose their connections during the times you choose. This includes BT ToGo and BT Fusion mobile handsets. BT Hub Phones and devices connected by wires to your Hub will keep working.

When your Hub is in Power Save mode, your Hub's Power light will change to steady orange. All other lights will be switched off. The Hub will automatically exit BT Power Save mode at the time you set in the Hub Manager. You can choose to override the Power Save mode and reactivate your wireless by pressing the Restart button on the side of your Hub.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Gaynorplum
Message 4 of 6

Hi I Have typed http://bthomehub.com in to my web browser and Just get other sites that I can go to !  all i want to do is change my timings for when it going in and out of poer save HELP please

0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

@Gaynorplum wrote:

Hi I Have typed http://bthomehub.com in to my web browser and Just get other sites that I can go to !  all i want to do is change my timings for when it going in and out of poer save HELP please

http://api.home/esaving.lp?be=0&l0=2&l1=2&l2=-1 should take you straight there. I have it bookmarked!

0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@wingman wrote:

What is the general advice regarding 'power save' mode or switching off the power to the hub router in order to maximise the ip Profile please.

Power Save settings will have no effect on your IP Profile. Switching on and off your router will. If you're having problems with a low ip profile then you're best to leave the hub on 24x7.

0 Ratings