Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

HomeHub 5 Faulty

Go to solution

Hello,

Our phone line went dead early last week. We had an engineer out on Monday who fixed the problem in the box at the end of the street. Everything worked OK until Tuesday morning - no internet. I rang BT who checked the line, got me to reset HomeHub etc. They have arranged an engineer who is coming on Saturday morning.

The HomeHub was acting weird. When I booted it up, even with the phone cable disconnected, it crashed out. I couldn't access it via the web browser. I could, if I was quick, get to look at the logs before it locked up, was a mention of watchdog timeout, which isn't good.

I got hold of another HomeHub5 via ebay. Plugged it in tonight. All ok.. So far at least...

I rang BT to tell them, as I didn't want to be charged for the visit. I explained all of the above.

The guy said the engineer should still come and check the hub, even if to just comfirm my findings. He would request a new one to be sent...  I am still in contract - just... End of the month my 18 months is up! The guy on the phone checked this, as I thought it was only 12.

Should I be ok with this? Will all this pan out as mentioned? No fee to me, and a new box for my internet?

I hope so, as I am in contract, and BT should be provide a working hub? I certainly haven't damaged it!

If my 18 months was up, what then?

Could this broken HomeHub be connected with the error on the line? It did work just less than a day though...

I hope it doesn't take out my replacement! Phone is ok though...

Any thoughts would be great!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: HomeHub 5 Faulty

Go to solution

Your contract doesn't just end; just the min. term expires. Thereafter you are on a rolling month contract. Throughout that contract BT will replace any faulty equipment.

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

@XRaySpeX

you will only get a replacement hub if you are in contract once on a rolling contract you would have to renew before getting a free replacement 

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

@john46: Not according to BT's BB T&Cs. It's all the same contract. All that has happened is the min. term has been passed.

Please show me where it says otherwise.

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
just try and get a free replacement hub once you are out of contract you will only get one if you re contract they would not give a free replacement with a rolling contract as you can cancel within 30 days there are many posts on this subject
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

When you first take out a contract (minimum term) with BT they supply you the necessary equipment for your service. According to BT's T&Cs the equipment belongs to you from the start.

See sect.23 of the T&Cs

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

1. Equipment and software

We'll tell you when you should get the equipment. You may be able to get other equipment from us at an extra cost. If there are any charges for equipment, we'll tell you when you order.

1. The equipment (except the software in it and any BT-owned equipment) belongs to you from when it's delivered, unless you cancel a service during the cooling-off period. In this case we will still own the equipment and you must return it to us in line with clause 5.

Because you have in effect bought the equipment albeit through your monthly contract, BT will give a warranty for the equipment for the period of the minimum term contract.

Once the minimum term ends so does the "warranty" for the equipment.

If you want replacement equipmet and you are out of your minimum term, you will need to either pay for it, in which case it will come with a years warranty, or you take out another minimum term contract and you make it a condition of the new contract that you are given the equipment.

If you contact BT and ask for a replacement homehub and you are out of minimum term contract, you will be offered a replacement provided you take out a new minimum term contract. This is to allow BT to recoup the cost of the Homehub over the term of the new contract.

I would suggest that it is unreasonable to expect any company to replace equipment at no cost to the customer who is only on a 30 day rolling contract. The customer could get the hub, valued at £130 and within 30 days leave BT.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

The problem you had sounds exactly the same as (one of) the problem I had:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Homehub-5A-connection-issue-after-firmware-...

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Upgraded-to-Infinity-2-but-limited-to-Infin...

I had actually signed up to a new contract as part of a move from one property to another property, and was told that I would be entitled to a warranty replacement only because I had a new contract. This is something I strongly disagree with particuarly given that BT continue to push firmware updates out to 'out of contract' routers without any permission. I firmly believe one of these firmware updates broke my router.

Long story short, the mods on here did a great job, got me a replacement router, and took my borked router back for failure analysis.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@chaser2001 wrote:

The problem you had sounds exactly the same as (one of) the problem I had:

I had actually signed up to a new contract as part of a move from one property to another property, and was told that I would be entitled to a warranty replacement only because I had a new contract. This is something I strongly disagree with particuarly given that BT continue to push firmware updates out to 'out of contract' routers without any permission. I firmly believe one of these firmware updates broke my router.

Long story short, the mods on here did a great job, got me a replacement router, and took my borked router back for failure analysis.

If you read the Terms and Conditions Section 23(d) that you signed up to when you joined BT you will see that you agreed to BT pushing software updates to equipment conected to their infrastructure.

Section 23 

Equipment and software

We'll tell you when you should get the equipment. You may be able to get other equipment from us at an extra cost. If there are any charges for equipment, we'll tell you when you order.

c) We own, or own the licence to, the software in any equipment we (or someone acting on our behalf) have given you. Sometimes you'll have to agree to the terms of an 'end-user licence' to use it. You won't have to pay any charges for this software unless you've agreed to do so.

d) You must let us update, upgrade or replace software relating to a service or the equipment. Software changes might happen automatically.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
Ok. Noted regarding the permission. However if the forced upgrade then breaks the router the end user should not be forced to take out a new 18 month contract in order to get a 'free' replacement.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@chaser2001 wrote:
Ok. Noted regarding the permission. However if the forced upgrade then breaks the router the end user should not be forced to take out a new 18 month contract in order to get a 'free' replacement.

I agree but you might find it hard to get BT to agree.

0 Ratings