cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

HomeHub 5 - apparent firmware flaws which cause entire router to crash

I have had Infinity with a HomeHub 5 for four months. My set up is that I have the HomeHub 5 in the centre of my flat, and my computer and various mobile devices are connected by wifi - 2.4GHz for mobile devices, 5Ghz for the computer (2014 MacBook Pro). The system was rock solid for the first three months: I am only 200 metres from the 

A month ago I bought a Western Digital MyCloud Network-attached storage (NAS) device. This was attached directly to the HomeHub 5 by a 20cm Cat 5 network cable, and the connection to the computer was therefore via the HomeHub wifi. I returned the MyCloud because the transfer speed was atrociously slow, and my wifi internet connection kept crashing (hub lights flashing orange, BT error messages popping up on all connected devices). 

Presuming the problem was with the MyCloud, I then bought a Synology NAS and a 4GB Seagate NAS hard drive. This does support faster transfers (for the first few minutes that file transfers work), but the hub keeps crashing, 'taking down' the entire router - wifi, internet connection, the lot. Interestingly, this behaviour is repeatable: by simply trying to copy a large number of files from my computer to the NAS. Without fail, after a few minutes, the HomeHub crashes: all devices lose their connection, the hub lights start flashing orange. It takes 5-10 minutes for the hub to reestablish the internet connection, bring up the 2.4GHz network, then finally the 5GHz network. My conclusion is that the HomeHub 5 can not properly route traffic within the LAN (as opposed to simply dealing with internet traffic to/from local devices).

My questions are:

1. I regard this as clearly being a problem with the HomeHub 5: it seems unable to route large volumes of data without crashing. To what extent do you agree or disagree with my analysis?

2. Is this a recognised problem with the HomeHub 5?

3. How can I report this to BT technical support teams so that they can replicate the bugs themselves, and hopefully eradicate them in the HomeHub 6 (and hopefully patch the HomeHub 5 firmware)?

4. Any general comments/suggestions/solutions on how I can actually get my Synology NAS working, without going to the expense of an entire new wifi router to replace what I have already paid for the HomeHub to be doing?

Thank you in advance for any advice and information that you can offer.

Ross

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: HomeHub 5 - apparent firmware flaws which cause entire router to crash

2. Yes.

If a factory reset doesn't fix it, better get a different one.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the quick response, Ray - have other people been successful with replacement routers? (i.e. is this a hardware issue that has been rectified in later models, rather than a software issue which should already have been fixed by firmware updates?)

Ross

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

I have a WD MyCloud and dont have any issue with router crashing etc.  Works fine and connected at 1gb network, very fast transfer speeds.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Ross,

Did you manage to get a resolution to your problem? I've just bought a NAS box and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. If I put a heavy data load on the router it frequently reboots itself, the logs contain no explanation for the reboot.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Just noticed this thread. For what it's worth I have a 4 bay Synology NAS with 4 Samsung 2TB drives. This is connected to a HH5B (and was connected previously to a HH5A) without any problems at all. So I would say thay whilst there might be a problem with some HH5s it is not true to say that all HH5s suffer from this problem. Perhaps a particular batch had a duff chip or whatever.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings