Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richie63
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

HomeHub 5A - Power Save - Disabling

Hi

I have a Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 | Last updated 14/01/15. Connected to the Wi-Fi is a room thermostat I can access from my smartphone. Last week I went on holiday and before returning home I attempted to login to the thermostat and switch the heating on. To my disappointment I could not access the thermostat. On arrival back home to a cold house, the thermostat had no Wi-Fi indicator on. Eventually the thermostat connected to the HH I’m assuming because I arrived home and my phone woke the HH up from powersave. I know the HH has “intelligent” power saving features that cannot be amended but in my case this caused real difficulties in accessing devices back at home. Is there any way this power save can be disabled or do I need to buy a router that isn’t a HH? Or any thoughts on how to keep the Wi-Fi active, obviously the thermostat doesn’t seem to do that.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: HomeHub 5A - Power Save - Disabling

how about pinging the homehub over wifi - would that work?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
mykspence
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Interesting Ray, how would I go about that?

0 Ratings
richie63
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I’ve had a closer look at this now. The thermostat has to be configured as a static IP. After a period of no activity with the thermostat, the Hub shows the Home Network – Devices as Thermostat “not connected”. With the Wi-Fi in the house active with phones / tablets etc access to the thermostat can be restored since the Wi-Fi is not powered down.

Whilst on holiday, I think the hub has powered down the Wi-Fi and when I try to connect to the thermostat the Wi-Fi connection has been dropped since there is no Wi-Fi in the house and that is where my problem is.

So any thoughts on how I keep Wi-Fi active and stop the hub going to sleep?

The Thermostat will respond to PING but needs an active connection to do so - with the hub asleep there is no comms, plus to PING on Wi-Fi - I'd need to be in the house.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

It may be easier to plug in an additional wireless access point into an Ethernet port of the home hub, and use that wireless connection instead. Thats assuming that the Ethernet does not go to sleep with no actividy.

Something like the TP-Link TL-WA701ND would do the job just fine.

See http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/TP_link/wa701nd/wa701nd_v2/wa701nd_v2_wiz.html

Use access point mode.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Or just throw the HH in the bin and buy a decent router.