Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mroshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Homehub 2.0 Wireless problem

Hi all,

I have a problem whereby the wireless connection to my Homehub 2.0 becomes unavailable, generally every couple of days.

I have laptops, a kindle, an Epson printer and iPhones connected wirelessly and all is well. Then, every couple of days, I get a connection error and am completely unable to access the router via wireless. This includes accessing the router admin pages via IP - simply cannot connect to it. My main PC is wired and has no trouble connecting to both the router and the internet when this occurs.

I can only resolve the problem by doing a soft reset of the router - this fixes the issue for a day or two then it comes back.

I've tried different channels, removed myself from FON and tried all sorts including a full reset. The router is in the living room and I've sat with a laptop only feet away when the problem has occurred. It's not a slow connection or an 'on / off' type issue - the wireless specifically becomes unavailable and is only restored by rebooting the router. When the problem occurs, wireless is unavailable to all devices, not one or more specific devices. Rebooting the router always fixes the issue, if only for a short time.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

mroshaw

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
fdwhite
Message 2 of 10

Re: Homehub 2.0 Wireless problem

Strange you should post this today but I've just got off of the phone after an excrutiatingly painful conversation with BT Bombay trying to fix an exact same problem.

The conclusion of the call was that the hub has developed a fault & they are sending a replacement.

I was asked if I used the phone connection on the hub, which I dont, & I've just received an email telling me my Broadband talk account is to be closed???? I didnt know I had one. I just hope its not the main account & my broadband is about to disappear!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

No it is broadband talk that will be closed as they will be sending you a home hub 3 which does not support broadband talk it is nothing to do with your broadband service or phone account it is the broadband phone service that uses the hub phone that has closed
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I thougt your broadband phone account was inactive if not used for about 90 days.  if never used I am surpised it has not already be de-activated.  still if you never knew about it then you have not lost anythingSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
andrew747
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

I had the same problem with my Homehub 2. After working without a problem for a year or two, the Homehub developed the fault of dropping wireless connections very few hours and had to be reset to fix it each time. After several long telephone calls to the call centre which each time resulted with them remotely logging onto the hub to change the channel and then claiming this would solve the problem (which it didn't), they sent me a new Homehub 3 (for free). 

This new Homehub worked fine, for 3 days, and then totally failed. So BT are now sending me a second Homehub 3!

0 Ratings
mroshaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thank you all for the replies.

I agree that it appears to be a Hub issue. I have 3 BT regsitered handsets and Broadband Talk on my 2.0 Hub so do not want to 'upgrade' to the Hub 3.0. I guess I could call BT and see if they can supply a replacement 2.0 Hub - unlikely though, I guess.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
lee87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

When you say unavailable does it still show a connection is available on your laptop but not let you connect? Cause that is whats happening to me and i have to restart the hub to get back on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

I would advise that you use a separate wireless access point, as none of the home hubs seem to give a good wireless performance.

I have a home hub 1, but I just use it as a mobem/router, and have the wireless turned off. I then use a good quality wireless access point with a high gain aerial connected to it.

I can stream audio and video from this setup, without problems.

0 Ratings
fdwhite
Message 9 of 10

I have been sent a homehub 3 as a replacement. I set it up & so far (3 days) the connection has been solid & steady. I hope it continues Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
fdwhite
Message 10 of 10

This was happening with me. The solution was a replacement Homehub.
0 Ratings