Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Homehub 3 RJ11 cable used for Openreach modem

Hi everyone,

I had Infinity installed yesterday. I'm very happy with the speed increase, but it's very erratic.

One thing I noticed is it looks like the engineer used the RJ11 cable from my existing homehub to connect from the master socket to the openreach modem, perhaps as it was going through a hole in the wall and looks longer than the white cable that comes with the modem.

Does anyone know if this could cause signal degradation and be a possible cause of the erratic speeds (which are jumping from about 15meg to 65meg)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cliff

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Homehub 3 RJ11 cable used for Openreach modem

As long as it is decent quality, RJ11 is what is needed.  They sometimes use ethernet cable with RJ11 terminators.

Are you measuring speeds wired or wireless?

Have you checked you profile to see how that is behaving?  http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and choose ‘Further Diagnostics’

Double-check your telephone wiring to make sure there isn't an extension lead (for telephone, alarm, SkyBox, etc)  taken off a junction box before the incoming feed gets to the master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks very much for your reply 🙂

Speed is measured using ethernet. I've done the further diagnostics and my IP profile is 67.xx.

Funny thing is, this morning it's a pretty stable 50m/bit. It's when I was using it in the evening that I was seeing the fluctuation. Is this normal?

I'll try it again this evening and see how it goes.

On another note, I've ordered an cat5e rj11 cable to replace the existing one. Does anyone know if I unplug the modem during the training period to replace the cable if I might mess up my IP profile?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Any disconnects/re-syncs/restarts done by the user may have an impact during the training period. It would be advisable to leave it alone during this period.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 5

There has been a few reports of what you are saying but yours could be on a Individual basis. 

Also don't disconnect the modem for the first 10 days, leave it to settle. The DLM will run various tests on your line to find the MSR (Maximum Stable Rate) for your connection.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings