Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smirge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Homehub 5 multicast issues w/ Sonos network

Hello BT,

I'm a long time Sonos customer with units in every room of my house, and a BT customer of some years now too. I have a Homehub 5.

I've recently upgraded my TV box to the Youview+ box, after which I started getting serious issues with my previously flawless Sonos performance. Rooms dropping in and out, periods of silence, all sorts.

After some extensive research with Sonos customer service on remote assistance, we've established that the multicast traffic coming from the Youview+ is the source of the intermittent latency that's spiking on the Sonos network. My Sonos Connect is wired directly into the router, as is the Youview+ box, and it seems that the Sonos is trying to broadcast the multicast signal.

When I power off the Youview box, everything works fine again, without exception. Sonos have done quite a bit of research over the past few weeks and established that the Homehub 5 should block this from happening, but it seems it still - for whatever reason - does!

I do have the option to run Sonos wirelessly and do away with the Ethernet connection into the router. This does remove the latency issues from the Youview+ box, but I do then have separate signal issues which are still affecting performance, so it's not really any better.

I was wondering if someone could help me, please - is there any way to disable multicast within the Youview+ box? It's not something I intend to use, but it's clearly affecting me and quite a few more Sonos users too.

NB I am aware and appreciate there is a known compatibility issue with Homehub 6 and Sonos, as specified on their support site, but they aren't aware of any issue with the HH5.

Thanks very much!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Homehub 5 multicast issues w/ Sonos network

You could connect a managed Ethernet switch to one of the Ethernet ports of the HH5, then connect the Sonos to one of its ports, and the YouView box to another. The NETGEAR GS105E would be suitable.

A managed switch will only allow multicast packets to the MAC address that they are intended for.

Multicast is needed to deliver the extra Internet channels to the Youview box.

0 Ratings
Smirge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hello Keith,

Ah great, thank you for clarifying. I didn't know multicast was essential.

Sonos did suggest buying a managed switch, or buying another router to add to the equation. But they were also sympathetic to the needs of a user who has to buy extra tech just to maintain his existing performance.

I'm wondering if anyone from BT is aware of this issue or perhaps has plans to mitigate it with a future firmware update?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Multicast by its very nature, will be delivered to all Ethernet ports unless the internal switch in the home hub is clever enough to only send it to the device requesting it. I doubt this could be fixed with firmware as it would need a physical hardware change.

This issue has been reported before.

This limitation is not going to affect most users. The normal BT hotspot addons reject the multicast stream, so it does not cause an issue. The Sonos would not expect to see this stream, so its not designed to reject it.

Sonos suggested exactly what I suggested. If the add the Netgear managed switch, it will not pass the multicast stream to the Sonos, or any other device connected to that Netgear switch.

0 Ratings
Smirge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thank you for your further explanations.

I appreciate what you're saying about multicast behaviour. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact terminology used by the Sonos representatives, but they said their research into the HH5 indicated that it had some sort of snooping functionality which should prevent multicast traffic behaving as described. They were surprised to discover otherwise. I realise this is a bit vague, so will endeavour to get a proper explanation.

What are the BT Hotspot addons? And without meaning to doubt you, why would it not affect pretty much everyone with a wired Sonos connection and a Youview box / HH5?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

IGMP snooping is how a router determines which ports are intended to receive multicast packets, I would have thought that it was basic functionality of the HH5.

0 Ratings
Smirge
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

That's the term I was looking for; IGMP snooping is what Sonos quoted and what their research seemed to indicate was present on the HH5.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@licquorice wrote:

IGMP snooping is how a router determines which ports are intended to receive multicast packets, I would have thought that it was basic functionality of the HH5.

I would hope so, but I have seen foum posts that seem to indicate otherwise. It could be that the Sonos is sending multicast requests, and the home hub is responding?

0 Ratings