cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Horrendous speed, frequent Router disconnects (FTTC, Infinity Two)

Go to solution

HH5

Infinity Two 76mbps unlimited

Guaranteed speed advertised on BT Broadband checker - 27mbps (+-2mbps)

Actual Rates : 16 down, 1.5 up

Distance from cabinet 1.12km (FTTC enabled)

Distance from Exchange 2km (Hodnet, Shropshire, FTTC enabled)

3.png

Aside from the speed problem, 3-4 days out of the week the router will disconnect 4-5 times that day, the router will need to be physically reset with the restart button on the back and the connection re-connected using the router GUI.

A friend of mine is a BT engineer and ran a basic check from his end. All seemed to be ok.

I've used BT Wholesale's speed checker, been on live chat and on the phone with them for hours, nothing is helping. 

There is evidently a wiring problem somewhere. The SNR is pretty terrible. 

My BT mate advised an engineer needs to come out and do a "boost job." I am advised by BT's live chat that it will cost me for them to send an engineer out.

My last bill for broadband, tv and phone was £102. I pay this company a fortune per annum, they aren't delivering the product I signed a contract with them to deliver, and they want me to pay to find the fault in the system...really!?!?!?

Please could someone advise some next steps to take to help escalate and resolve this issue, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Horrendous speed, frequent Router disconnects (FTTC, Infinity Two)

Go to solution

Try connecting things up as shown below, and see if the maximum data rate increases

Image1.jpg

Do you have any extensions?

Using the test socket should disconnect any extensions, and there should be no dial tone on any of them.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Then, if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post lines 1-12

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Your noise margin is at its default setting of 6 dB no problem there
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
There's no point on you being on Infinity 2.

Can you post the results for your line from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com please.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Connected as shown.

Master Socket > Microfilter > Hub/Landline

Several extensions but nothing is connected to any of them.

This is what I should be getting -

Lines 1-2

Wholesale checker

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
Remove the faceplate and connect to the test socket then repost those stats from the hub please.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@onevalefan wrote:

Connected as shown.

Master Socket > Microfilter > Hub/Landline

Several extensions but nothing is connected to any of them.

The fact that they are connected, will affect the speed if they are not filtered, or are teed into the phone line before the master socket.

The NTE shown below, is the one with the separate socket for the home hub.

extensions.jpg

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Webby and Keith

I am unable to connect to the internet through the test socket. Additionally, I have a digital landline phone and when connected to the test socket displays the caution message "check line cord". Tried two different microfilters, same result both times. 

It is definitely the master socket I am trying as it has the horizontal line across the face and is branded "openreach", it is also considerably newer than the other 3 phone sockets in the house which are either brandless or have the old 1991-2003 BT logo on them. Nothing is plugged in to those three other sockets. 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
Can you run the quiet line test by dialling 17070 please.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

There is no dial tone through the test socket so I couldn't do the test off the test socket.

Having just done the quiet line test off the normal socket, direct landline phone to master socket, there was significant static on the line; a kind of hum, occasionally rhythmic. 

0 Ratings