cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Hosted Web Space

Don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but here goes.

I have a BT hosted site using my personal web allocation - http://www.fxc.btinternet.co.uk which attracts anywhere from 100 to 500 visitors per day from around the world who visit to download the free software I develop. 

A colleague tried to access the site this morning (23/09/10) and found the location is unavailable.  I have since tried to access the site both through http and ftp, both of which are unavailable.

Is there a problem with the servers within BT, and if so, would it not be courteous to inform those who use the space that there was a problem? 

It would also be good to know how long the downtime was planned for?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Hosted Web Space

I also cannot contact my website,

How can we report it ???

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

see this topic seems to be part of the great BTsaga

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/www-btinternet-com-appears-to-be-down-23-09-2010-12-07pm/td-p/...

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
englishbullterrier
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Seems to be working now.

13:58gmt
0 Ratings
kip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Yet again, the mystery of the vanishing site rears its ugly head.

Come on BT, at least have the courtesy to email us when the web space disappears, then we don't have to get irate emails from people around the world trying to access the site before we know about it.

What is the problem, are you doing server maintenance, if so you know in advance so you could give some indication.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 12

@kip wrote:

Yet again, the mystery of the vanishing site rears its ugly head.

Come on BT, at least have the courtesy to email us when the web space disappears, then we don't have to get irate emails from people around the world trying to access the site before we know about it.

What is the problem, are you doing server maintenance, if so you know in advance so you could give some indication.

Hi.

This problem has been happening for a few days now. I don't expect they will be emailing folk for this problem, since the backroom tech staff were almost certainly unaware of this problem. It is a fact that many of the tech helpdesk don't know about BTinternet webspace, and will actually say it doesn't exist.

It should be noted that the general helpdesk will have no access to their "own" webspace to check, hence they are not the people to contact - bizzare I grant you.

In truth, BT support have never actually given any help with webspace queries leaving it to peer support via the newsgroups.

However when there is an outage of this nature, they are informed by that medium and are currently aware of the difficulties.

As an aside, over the years I've always recommended using the absolute version for webspace access, e.g. :-

www.btinternet.com/~fxc

rather than one of the two virtual accesses, e.g. www.fxc.btinternet.co.uk - this latter version (and the other) have been flakey in the past and one or two things don't function correctly when using them.

But it seems that they are all down.

0 Ratings
rocky8bg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Still not working, I have a weather website that is supposed to update every 5 minutes, been hit and miss for about 4 days now, who can we contact?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@rocky8bg wrote:
Still not working, I have a weather website that is supposed to update every 5 minutes, been hit and miss for about 4 days now, who can we contact?

Hi.

I've already informed the support people in the newsgroups and they are aware of it - so I believe things are being looked at.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

@Andy_N wrote:

However when there is an outage of this nature, they are informed by that medium and are currently aware of the difficulties.

But it seems that they are all down.

It actually looks like that BTinternet websites are available from some non BT connections.

I wonder if this has anything to do with that "Web Address Help" system recently installed - which should be removed with immediate effect BT. Don't ignore your users on this.

See my shortcuts option 17 to turn it off - do so now.

0 Ratings
rocky8bg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Thanks, it's still not worrking properly yet

0 Ratings