cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Hot Spot 500 Connection Problems

Hi - New to the forum but really hopeful somebody can help shed some light on the problems I'm having.

We moved recently and the Home Hub 4 range didn't cover the whole house so I bought some 500 extenders to sort the problem. All has been well for 6 months but in the last 2 weeks the the service has been intermittent.

I have tried moving the extenders to different sockets so they are on their own and not compromised but other devices (i.e. TV, Sky Box etc.) and sometimes I get a brief response but then I seems to have further problems.

A good example was last night when both extenders, (1 in the living room and 1 in the bedroom) were not working, despite the Wireless and Data lights being solid green, i.e. I can see the Hot Spot on my device to access but it simply won't make a connection. This morning the Hot Spot in the bedroom is working again but not the one in the living room...?

I've spent 30 mins on with BT this morning and I'm not sure I'm much further forward. They have apparently reset the channel and have told me to change the ADSL filter and wait 48 hours, I'm a due a call back. She told me that as the green lights are on that means that there isn't a problem with the Hot Spots but the fact that I can't connect on any device in the household to one or other intermittently just seems very strange. If they didn't work full stop at least that would suggest there was something fundamental to fix but the intermittent nature of the problem concerns me as one of those difficult to diagnose issues.

Anyway, a bit of a ramble but really hoping there may be some suggestions I can take to resolve this.

Many thanks in advance...

James.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Hot Spot 500 Connection Problems

Have you tried a factory reset of the hotspot?

1. Make sure the hotspot is plugged in and the power socket’s switched on (check that hotspot is switched on)

2. Press the Reset button for 1 second. Give it a couple of minutes to reboot

Note, resetting the hotspot will result in loss of any settings you may have change e.g. the hotspot name (SSID) or wireless key.

See links for further info about the hotspot

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/3264709/1379075737/redirect/1

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/c/6555

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Thanks...

Tried to factory reset by moving the Hot Spot to the same room as the Hub but made no difference. Wireless and Data lights were on solid green but still not able to connect. I have just moved it back to the living room and the data light has now disappeared completely even thought it was active earlier.

Strangely the Hot Sport upstairs is now intermittently flashing red but I am still able to connect to that one.

Feels like a complete mess which for someone not very technical is a bit daunting.

James.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 15

Can I just check something...

How many hotspot adaptors have you got?  The standard kit has two black boxes.  One box connects to your router (the Home Hub) via a single ethernet cable and the other is the wireless hotspot.

If you have two (or more) of the wireless hotspots, then you need to make sure that both are paired with a single "master" adaptor - the one connected to the Home Hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Sure - I bought the standard kit with the Master and adaptor and a further hotspot as i wasn't sure whether i would need 1 or 2 additional hotspots. I have been using one fine up until now and it is only since I started having problems that I tried to connect the secondary hotsopt.

I have paired both (I think) back to the master adaptor using the "Link" buttons.

Strangely last night we have concluded that the one upstairs works absolutely fine until I turn on the TV in the same room, almost immediately the Green Data light turns off and I cannot connect. Turn the TV off and it immediately reverts. The TV is plugged into a different socket and is only a small 1 inch set so I can't believe it should affect the HotSpot in such a dramatic fashion.

Thanks...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Powerline adaptors are really one of those technologies that should never work - mains wiring was never designed to carry high-speed internet connections.  There are a few radio hams around who wish it didn't work, because the powerline adaptors can cause interference.

As a few general rules, don't plug the adaptors into extension leads, and especially not leads with surge suppressors.  But it doesn't would like you're doing that.

The signal is better if all the adaptors are on the same mains circuit.  It will usually work OK across two different rings, but the signal is weaker and the speed slower.

If you have two consumer units (fuse boxes) then it will lose even more signal crossing from one to another.

The adaptors are unlikely to work at all on separate supplies, or different phases of a 3-phase supply.

You may need a bit of trial-and error to see what works most reliably.  If you have the Home Hub and two other wireless hotspots on top, then you should be able to cover the house even if you have to try lots of different sockets.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Appreciate your response...

You're right, these are plugged directly into main sockets. Hand on heart I don't know about the mains circuit or supply points, I'll have to get someone to advise. Luckily there are some electricians in the extended family.

I guess what I really don't get is why it would work for ~6 months absolutely fine and then suddenly be such a problem...? We haven't done anything (move of appliances etc.) in my humble opinion that could possible have made a difference so could that suggest the boxes are simply faulty...? Again, I can't imagine the technology is so temperamental that in a bedroom turning on a small 19" TV set on a different plug socket could wipe the Data signal out completely, only for it to return when you turn the TV off.

I guess my concern is what options I have if I can't get the extenders to work. I've read about moving the Master Socket and also running Cat5 cabling around the house, but again I'm not really sure what the best route to go here.

Thanks again....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Oh, sorry, should have said. I have tried every socket (5) in the living room and every socket in the 2 bedrooms at the opposite side of the house to the Hub (5) and problems are the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

Sounds like a tricky problem.  If only one adaptor has the problem, then it's possible it has gone faulty.  It's also possible that a faulty power supply on some other device (such as the TV) is injecting a lot of noise back into the mains, and is wiping out the powerline adaptors' signal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Thanks, and that's my concern, feels like one of those things that will be very difficult to diagnose.

I'm being sent some replacement devices so that should allow to me to cover that side of it. Beyond unplugging various devices is there a more scientific way of determining interference on the wiring...?

0 Ratings