Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gazza9937
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

House Move Joke!!!

Yet anothet house more fiasco.

Moving House so called to inform BT early so we would have as little disruption as possible. However all is not good.

We have now moved into a fairly new property that is a rental so not ours and was informed by the landlady there was a phone line so all this would mean is an engineer to come and switch it on and switch on broadband.

When we arranged this BT said they have no record or a line??? Not being an expert I called the landlady and she said that she was with sky and had the phone and broadband with them..Ok no problem called BT and told them this and great and engineer was booked as I was told this will be sorted...

No Engineer showed up and no call was made to let me know...So once again at my expence I called BT and it showed the engineer had been and reported there was a problem with the line..what problem??? We have not had the full report back yet so we waited for a call the next day but didnt get one...Oh well I I called again at my expence and was to there was an issue with the line i.e. there was no line???? WTF the landlady had sky broadband and Sky dish and to top it all a frigging  phone number...Anyhoo I was told it will all be sorted by Monday. 14th DEC . I had a call from BT saying that there is deffinatly no physical line to the property and we will not be able to do anything until the 10th of Jan...Confused to say the least..

We have a phone number for the property that was the landlady's so how can this be???

This is costing a fortune in calls to BT and topping up a dongle for the internet..

Please help as I suffer from Combat related PTSD and my life line is my support groups on the internet and I cannot afford to top up the dongle as I get just 68 quid a week war pension..

Thank you

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: House Move Joke!!!

it sounds as if sky have not transferred the line back to BTso delaying your change over
0 Ratings
gazza9937
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

So do you suggest that a call to sky may resolve this issue?? or  at least speed things up.

But you guys are saying that there is not a line here at all..So I am confused to say the least..

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 4 of 14

The time between the line ceasing in the landladies property and you taking it over . Somebody else has asked for an installation of a phone . Your OH--overhead-wiring was taken and your underground cable pairs all taken from the DP-distribution point-pole/wallbox etc through the green cabinet in the road all the way to the exchange. Seen it a million times. Angry subscriber - "but I have a line in the house" BT- But thats all you have and will have to pay for the installation. And when I went out to do it in some cases I was nearly assaulted[depending on area] by the angry womans husband. . I got the blame when it should have been directed elsewhere. So you are not the only one annoyed by this sort of thing. In all the cases I went to everyone had to pay the full price as internal wiring didnt count when it came to costs.Whether thats changed now I dont know.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

as you are not the sky account holder they will not deal with you you really need your landlady to contact sky and ensure any cancellations were done correctly
0 Ratings
gazza9937
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Been in touch with the landlady and she says that she was there when BT installed the line however BT are still claiming there is NO ACTUAL LINE to the house..So we have a Landline Number from BT but BT is saying they is no line...What now. ???????????????????????

0 Ratings
gazza9937
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Now on phone (mobile) and trying to understand the person at the other end is becoming more and more difficult. Asked to speak to someone that speaks proper English or a Manager is hard work..I am not asking for much. Or am I???
0 Ratings
gazza9937
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

OK Landlady let the BT chap in...She watched him set up the phone and it worked. She moved out and we as her tenants moved in..No Line??? BT still says there is no line to that property...Now I am being told that there is a fault on the line...Before I was told that there was not any line to the house to start with so a Physical line requires installing..Is that so hard to understand..??
0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 9 of 14

She might have been there when the line was put in but that must have been long ago. As I said above --In the intervening time all the external stuff must have been used for another subscriber. BT dont leave a line connected when the rental is ceased . If that was the case there would be less spare pairs of wires for other subscribers-The exchange side is used for somebody else -the distribution side is used for a neighbour even the overhead can be used for another neighbour. It doesnt matter if there is internal wiring it doesnt count for costs. Ask her the time difference between  the line being ceased and you wanting to take it over it cant be days it must be weeks.

0 Ratings
gazza9937
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

She moved out (Owner and Landlady) about 6 weeks ago. It is a new build so the line was installed when she bought it about a year ago.
0 Ratings