cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
treborgb
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

House on 'New' Estate No Fibre Broadband (Exchange Acepting Orders)

We are moving to a brand new house on a newish estate (I believe there have been houses the estate since 2011, or even before) but It doesn't seem as though Fibre broadband is available or that there is any way of finding out when it may be available without having a phone line installed first.

Why should I have a phone line installed at a possible cost and certainly a lengthy contract only the to be told Fibre won't be available?

I would happily get a new BT phone line installed (or let Open Reach install on behalf of BT Retail) and continue with BT line rental, broadband, calls and TV IF I knew if fibre would be available in the next few months. If Fibre isn't going to be available then there are other companies offering standard broadband and TV deals, Sky being the most likely at the moment.

Exchange is SLGTP

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
AndyKay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: House on 'New' Estate No Fibre Broadband (Exchange Acepting Orders)

In the same boat here, been trying to get info for 7 months and nobody is telling us anything.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Up until recently you could email Openreach and ask when your cabinet was likely to be upgraded however Openreach are no longer giving out that information, instead they are replying:-

Thank you for your contact to us. Please note that we will not be responding to you by email but, would like to point you to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

So in short, you just need to keep checking to see if your cabinet has been up graded.

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. If you do not have a phone line, which is the most accurate check, use the address checker. It is more accurate than the post code checker which covers a larger area and may include a number of cabinets. 

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

treborgb
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

You would think that they would like customers business, especialy with so much competition.

0 Ratings
treborgb
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks, I have foud what cabinet I am on and will keep checking but all it tells me at the moment is that I will get slower broadband than I had before fibre was installed at my current address.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

The upgrading of the exchanges and cabinets has nothing to do with BT retail who are just an ISP the same as all the other ISPs.  BT/Openreach have a monopoly and supply to all the ISPs with the exception of Virgin so there is no incentive for them to hury up, they'll get their money anyway. 

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Have a look at the Council Planning Website to see if your cabinet has planning permission. Land adoption issues can cause significant delays , in my case July 2006 to March 2014(adoption date but no permission as yet)

0 Ratings
AndyKay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

As gg30340 says - if there's no Virgin Media in your area they have no incentive to get their backsides into gear and install FTTC.. The only answer I have ever had was "not in the next 6 months" because I badgered our BDUK team into contacting Openreach. I have a feeling that in 6 months time the answer will be the same - Openreach's unaccountability and refusal to pass on information is disgusting.
0 Ratings