Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

House wired for two lines.. switching existing line to other box

Go to solution

Hello,

My home is wired for multiple phone lines with the current phone line having an outlet in the downstairs bedroom.  This outlet works and is currently used for my phone and broadband connection.

The remainder of the outlets are upstairs and there is no dial tone, but I was told by the previous owner they were hooked up to a second phone line. 

I now have reason to need to move the phone line / broadband connection upstairs and as such would like to switch my existing phone line to the other outlet.  

A longwinded way to do this would be to order a second phone line and wait untill that is installed and working in the upstairs outlets and then cancel the first phone line.  However, surely there must be an easier way; however, the problem is difficult to explain and I am not eager to have a engineer come to the house if the answer is that a second phone line must be "activated"  .. so what I really want is  BT to act as I'm moving house, but really just move it within my house !  if that makes any sense

Any help appreciated. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: House wired for two lines.. switching existing line to other box

Go to solution

Do you pay BT for calls and line rental on your existing phone line?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Yeah, call the Home Movers Department, or contact the MOD's on here and they can arrange an Internal Home Move.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Yes I am with BT for my existing line. Who do I contact for an internal home move? Do the MODS have an email? Thx!!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@plainview wrote:

Yeah, call the Home Movers Department, or contact the MOD's on here and they can arrange an Internal Home Move.

Never heard of that service at all. But if it does exist, then they would have to contact BT, who will arrange for Openreach to arrange the shift of the pairs, to the other master socket position. There would be a charge for that service.

Contact will need to be made the normal way by calling BT on 0800 800 150, and not via the forum moderators, who are there to deal with escalations only.

If the master sockets for both lines are adjacent, and they are like the picture below, then its simply an internal extension switch which can be done by the home owner.

NTE5_fl[1].jpg

0 Ratings