cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lostof
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

How accurate is the speed checker?

How accurate is the speed checker? http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25795

Just had conversation with customer services where they claimed the maximum speed I could get was 6mb and the 17mb quoted in the letter was a "clerical error". I've worked out they must have been using the checker linked above but the speeds quoted aren't accurate for my connection. Does anyone else have a discrepency?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: How accurate is the speed checker?

Hi lostof,

I have to say its pretty accurate for ADSL users, and then can be a bit conservative for Infinity.  You can use this one https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html which is the most detailed one for the Wholesale provider BT Retail buys its broadband stock from, and then post back the results and we can tell you what you should be looking for.

Or post your ADSL Stats and we'll tell you based on the distance calculator http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php .  But in all honesty with you, you won't know until you've got the service, Im thinking you want to be upgraded from ADSL Max to ADSL2+? 

You can also check out this link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35095/c/346 how broadband speed is affected externally and also how its affected by things in your house http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12666/c/346/related/1 .  

Hope this helps.

lostof
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

This is what I got from the hub

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.1 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)35.0 dB / 18.7 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)108823 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)0

To get a "new" hub I had to renew my contract which I did. The guy on the phone didn't mention anything about ADSL 2 or ADSL max. The letter I had doesn't mention them either just BT Total Broadband Option 3. It just says that my connection speed will be 17mb and the range is 10 - 19.5mb. When I put this to the woman on the phone she said the maximum I could get is 6mb  and the 17mb is a clerical error.  I've been getting more than 8mb for years.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

@lostof wrote:

This is what I got from the hub

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.1 dB / 5.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)108823 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / N/A
Error Seconds (Local)0

According to your attenuation I would hope for around 12mb on your line, that would be with the correct stats, SNR margin of 6dB which you have etc..  Although the reason I've highlighted the Output Power [Downstream] is because this should be around 19/20 and hence why you are probably not seeing the good speeds.  Please contact the mods, you can do that by following this link: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 and ask them to get it sorted for you and then you should see the speeds 😉

Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

hi The 0 power level is a known reporting bug another poster today has had the same and a single restart of the hub cured his 0 reading may be worth a try
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

Thanks John for correcting me. :).
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

no problem Edd I have seen it happen here i had a similar reporting the other night with a 1.7db attenuation and noise margin shown and a simple restart restored every thing to normal levels there seem a few little glitches like them around
0 Ratings
lostof
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I've restarted my hub and this is what I get. Is this a problem?

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)5.6 dB / 6.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)3487322 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)10 / N/A
Error Seconds (Local)7

btw I had a call from BT because I wrote to them complaining about being sent a hub 2 when I was promised a hub 3 by two different representatives and then got told I wasn't entitiled one by some idiot in the cancellations dept. Anyhow they said the highest I could get on my line was 8mb when I pushed it and said I was getting 8.5 they said oh well it's just a guide but I can't get any higher than that. He said that he worked on the live chat or something dealing with line problems and there was no way to increase my speed.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Hi lostof,
Would be very helpful if you could post how fast your connection speed is, because you don't, you just keep posting the Hub stats without the connection speed. Thanks. We will then be able to assist further.
0 Ratings
lostof
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

OK, I thought the Output thing was an issue because someone highlighted it. My speed seems to be flucuating tbh

Just run a speed test and got: Download speedachieved during the test was - 5925 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 8762 Kbps

But I ran a speed test before I switched off the hub and my download speed was around 9000 kbps. A couple of weeks ago I ran a test and my speed was

BT speedtester

Download speed achieved during the test was - 8442 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 9181 Kbps

As the bt speed tester bans you from running tests within an hour I've tried some other places because that is unusually low for my download speed. I haven't had speeds like that for years - before the black hub.

Thinkbroadband

DateSpeed DownSpeed Up

11/10/11 19:32:57
8265.30 Kbps ( 8.1 Mbps )
943.62 Kbps ( 0.9 Mbps )

Uswitch

10.3 download

0.8 upload

Speedtest.net (birmingham server)

ping 398ms

5.49 download

0.76 upload

run again 2 minutes later (warwick server)

ping 55ms

8.01 download

0.90 upload

0 Ratings