cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmergiles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

How can 90% of my city be missed out despite our exchange being upgraded?

I live in Portsmouth which is hardly a minor city in terms of population. Our exchange was upgraded ages ago and yet it seems 90% of our city can't get access to fiber optic or even decent broadband speeds.

I'm stuck on a rubbish 2MB despite being in a new build flat and having a cabinet within eyesight. We're next to a major hospital and school as well so you'd think our cabinet would be pretty high up on the list of upgrades considering who would benefit not to mention the entire new build site would upgrade to BT Infinity in seconds of receiving it.

But still our cabinet (PO3 6FE, Cotton Road, Portsmouth) sees no signs of an upgrade despite the fact I have occasionally seen Openreach Engineers in our area. What's the point of dishing out 100MB to rural areas no one cares about when cities where all the people reside are being left out. How can it be cost effective? A few farmers and retired folk will end up with super fast broadband bringing in next to no money yet every single cabinet in a major city must surely net a ton of income for BT.

There seems to be no way to find out when or even IF a cabinet will ever get upgraded either. How hard can it possibly be?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
stepto
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: How can 90% of my city be missed out despite our exchange being upgraded?

'What's the point of dishing out 100MB to rural areas no one cares about when cities where all the people reside are being left out. How can it be cost effective? A few farmers and retired folk will end up with super fast broadband bringing in next to no money yet every single cabinet in a major city must surely net a ton of income for BT.'

Since when could rural areas get 100Mb????  I live in a rural area and cannot even get 1Mb.  There are also no farmers or retired pensioners where I live, but there are 4000 military personel and their families who NEED a faster connection so we can use Skype whilst overseas, which begs the question, why do you need it?? faster online gaming, downloading music, streaming videos? hardly as important as keeping in touch with wives and kids whilst away for 6 months a year is it?  Also, I guess that you chose to live there, you didn't just get told you were moving to a new area and told where you would be living.

Before you start banging on about how important it is to you, try thinking about the people who don't have any where near what you already have and desperatly need it.

0 Ratings
farmergiles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

You not seen the news about the 100MB? The areas it's restricted to include bits of London which is expected, but also include random other areas that aren't huge population centres.

And my brother is in the military and we didn't need priority on broadband speed to use Skype, that worked fine on my parents 4MB connection back home so don't give me that attempt at the moral high note. No-one needs fast speed by pain of death, it's a general basic fundamental that should be available to more people than it is now. Far too many cabinets are missed out and BT refuses to comment.

0 Ratings
stepto
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

But we don't get 4MB, we only get 0.25 so Skype wont work.  I'm not bothered about the 100MB speeds you mentioned that will never come here anyway or even the 40MB speeds that BT wont let us have.  2MB would be enough for what we need but we aren't even allowed that, so stop whining and be greatful that you are not stuck on the speeds we are on with no hope of getting anything faster.

0 Ratings
farmergiles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Lol 0.25, that's rediculous. Therefore you should be as peeved as I am. If you've already given up hope why you even here? You want to go tell everyone else on the forums or everyone else in the UK that is mad at BT for not keeping their roll-out promise to just give up? 2MB is third world style speed,  at 0.25 you might as well not even bother with the internet.

Come on BT, what's your plans huh?

0 Ratings
stepto
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Not given up hope at all, which is why I come on here.  It just annoys me even more that people who get a speed I would kill for are complaining about it.  You are not the only one.  I had a long argument on here about 6 months ago with someone complaining that his 28MB connection wasn't fast enough.  It makes me sick.

0 Ratings
farmergiles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

That definitely is sick. Everyone should be able to get the basic 8meg required to do all tasks with reasonable speed and reliability. We've had "up to 8 meg" advertised for ages, the fact it's not even available to everyone yet just emphasises how useless the UK is at getting anything sorted. Instead we prefer to waste money on pointless Olympic game hosting.
0 Ratings
stepto
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Our local council has been given £15 million by BDUK to upgrade the internet in the county.  With that they promise that we SHOULD be able to get 2MB by 2015.

0 Ratings