cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shazza11
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

How can BT charge more for less

I am the person who deals with both my parents and in laws phone contracts.

In Oct I renewed my fathers broadband and phone contract as it was due for renewal, then in Dec my own contract was due for renewal. I was offered a deal half the price of my fathers for unlimited internet and my fathers is capped at 25g.

How can BT justify charging 2 customers completely different prices for the same service in the same area?

i also enquired about an offer my in laws had received £3off caller display for 12 months, I was told she was only offered this as she doesn't have broadband. 

Seems to me BT are making prices up as they go along.

my complaint has been escalated but still waiting for a manager to call after 2 weeks and 3 further calls.😡

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: How can BT charge more for less

BT like all ISPs and other companies such as Insurance companies, can and do charge different prices to its customers for what appears to be the same product.

Package prices all start off at basically the same price for the customer but when it comes up for renewal the individual can and should try to negotiate a deal that suits them.

BT will not always give the same deal to all its customers. BT like any business want the best deal for the company so will start of high and only come down in price to a point that they think the customer will accept.

It's up to you as the customer to try and force this down to a price that you will happily accept. If not you should be prepared to walk away and go to another ISP who will no doubt offer good deals for "new" customers.  

As regards your father's Internet package, it is not the same as yours. Yours is unlimited, his is limited.

You should contact BT see what deals are available for him to move onto an unlimited package. It may be the case that you can negotiate the same deal as you have received for your package.

Caller display is free if you have broadband but I belive you have to ask for that to be included in the package. It might not be included in limited broadband packages.

0 Ratings
Shazza11
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

You should contact BT see what deals are available for him to move onto an unlimited package. It may be the case that you can negotiate the same deal as you have received for your package.

i have tried contacting them several times, they won't negotiate as they say that's impossible as my fathers is tied in a contract, spoke to a manger who has escalated the complaint been waiting more than 2 weeks for someone higher to call. What a joke 

Caller display is free if you have broadband but I belive you have to ask for that to be included in the package. It might not be included in limited broadband packages.

Sorry I didn't mean caller display, I meant Anytime call package.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Did you try the Options Team 0800.800.030.

It may be because you have just renewed your father's contract but although I am not sure I thought you could "upgrade" from a limited package to an unlimited package at any time. As I said, you may get the same deal as you have, but then again you might not.

Your father had bought a package which will be for telephone and broadband and what ever else is in that package. If the package includes Anytime Calls he would not be able to negotiate a different price for a component part of the package. Any negotiations of the price would be for the package as a whole.

Presumably your in-laws are on a Telephone with Anytime Calls package so they are getting the discount on their package as a whole.

I would suspect that if nobody has called you back by now, you are not going to get a call back. 

0 Ratings
Shazza11
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I just received a call from higher manager!

He said basically nothing they can do as my dads in contract, can't negotiate an unlimited contract as he would be paying more than he is now so basically what he means is we have got your dads monthly payments guaranteed fo X amount of months so why should we be bothered. 

I told him this and all he said in reply was if BT increase their charges within your contract term your within your right to cancel or renegotiate.

Fat lot of help that is.

Its not as though it's a small difference I am paying half what my dads paying, over the contract term that amounts to around the cost of 1yrs line rental.

not sure which department I actually spoke to its all automated when you ring BT. I rang 150

will certainly look into changing providers when contract is up or when they increase their prices mid contract.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

Once BT have you locked into a 12 month contract, they have no reason to negotiate with you - except for the next time they raise their prices, when you have the option to cancel early.

You can upgrade to a more expensive package, but downgrading counts as cancellation of the more expensive one, and so comes with cancellation fees.

0 Ratings