cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

How can I cancel my BT broadband package without payment?

I ordered my 'unlimited broadband+free weekend call' package. It was supposed to work ~10 days ago. Now it still doesn't work after frustrating contact to the **bleep** phone service. So I'd rather quit the service.

What I was told is that I have to pay for around 310 pounds for that (my contract is 18 month). I totally understood that one should pay some money if he cease the contract before the fixed time. But for my case, it was because BT couldn't offer their service, then I chose to quit. How should I pay for this money? Who should pay for the time I have waisted on the **bleep** service?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: How can I cancel my BT broadband package without payment?

has the phone and broadband been installed and if has it been activated?  you can cancel up to time of activation

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

To imjolly, thank you for reply. I am not sure what you exactly meant ' installed or activated'. I have the BT line at home, which was here before I moved in. And I got the new hub deliver to my home 10 days ago, but it never worked, always stayed orange light on it. Does it mean 'installed'? What 'activated' means?

So in this case, do I have the right to quit without any charge?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

The question really is when was the service 'activated'.  In practice, this is when BT believe that it has been switched on, regardless of when any equipment was delivered to you.

If your activation day has been delayed, then you can still cancel.  If it has been activated, but a fault means it's not actually working, then it becomes a murky grey area.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

It becomes muddier as the OP appears to have also ordered a phone package as well which should have been activated - the broadband presumably quickly followed albeit not working.

The OP could argue that although the service may have been activated the non performance of the broadband could void the contract assuming there was no operative connection - for anybody (except BT) knows it could have been ok for an hour then failed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thanks a lot. Finally an engineer came to my home and solved it. All my setup was correct. He found it is because of some exchange problem outside my house. So I was not charged. Thanks god. Why didn't they send an engineer come to my home at the beginning?!

To be honest, if I have any chance to quit without any penalty, I wil avoid BT for the rest of my life. But it seems I have to stay in it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Now that it's working, you're locked in for 18 months.

The only exception is if BT makes a change that is to your "material detriment" - which usually means a price rise, or the loss of an important service.  Once they notify you of such a change, you have the option to cancel within 10 days.

0 Ratings