cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Penners
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

How can I find out where my cabinet is?

Since January, my exchange (Saint Cross, Suffolk) has been shown on the Openreach website as "Accepting Orders" for superfast broadband.  I know that I am on cabinet number 1 for this exchange. The cabinet 1/2 mile up the road from me has recently been replaced with a new fibre cabinet - the phone wires from my house appear to head in the direction of that cabinet (we're very rural here, so it's not difficult to trace the line of poles).

Despite all this, the BT Infinity online checker consistently tells me that Infinity is not available to me.  I emailed Openreach and they replied:-

"You are connected to Saint Cross Exchange Cabinet 1,

Whilst your cabinet is not part of the Openreach commercial rollout of fibre broadband your local authority is part of the National BDUK initiative and whilst plans remain in development your cabinet may be upgraded under this programme. For further information on the BDUK initiative in your area please visit your local county councils broadband website"

I have checked the county council website, which shows a map of my area indicating that superfast broadband would be available in 2013.

I have spoken to BT, who say they can't give me any more information. 

It's all immensely frustrating!!  Superfast broadband seems so near, and yet so far!! 

Is there any way that I can find out for sure whether the new fibre cabinet up the road is cabinet number 1?  I've looked on its casing and there are no identification numbers at all.

Any and all advice welcome please!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: How can I find out where my cabinet is?

I think you have been given all the advice about this in your last thread and there is not anything else you can do.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Discover-when-superfast-reaches-my-cabinet/...

0 Ratings
Penners
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

gg30340 - I was given a considerable amount of helpful advice on my previous thread, but as yet nobody has been able to tell me how I can find out definitively where Saint Cross Cabinet 1 is, which seems to me to be the crux of my situation.

I was hoping that this new thread might yield some new advice on this.

0 Ratings
suzoooooo
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 14

The DSLAMs (new fibre cabinets) do not have numbers on them, the PCP's (old phoneline cabinets) near them do. The DSLAM will be within 100mts of the PCP.

Once you have determined the number of your PCP using the checker in your other thread, go to the DSLAM and check the number of the nearby PCP.

As you come under BDUK funding then the only source for information for your conecction being upgraded will be your local authority until the cabinet goes live. Any queries should be directed to them perhaps via your local councillor.

0 Ratings
Penners
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thanks suzoooooo.  I have been following the progress of our exchange on the Openreach website.

0 Ratings
Penners
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

pippincp - thanks for that information.  I have looked all over the old cabinet, and it doesn't have any identifying information on it either!

I guess I'll have to follow your other suggestion and see if I can get any information out of the County Council.

I'm interested in your phrase, "...until the cabinet goes live".   Do I understand from this that there is usually a delay between the installation of the new cabinet and its commissioning?  The cabinet was installed in late January/early February - maybe I'm just jumping the gun in expecting it to be live already.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 8 of 14

Hi Penners,

Have you contacted the Better Broadband to Suffolk website ?

If you check out the commissioning link that pippin provided you will se that there is a dleay between installation and activation.  This is indeterminate and can take from days to months.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Penners
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

dfenceman - than ks for that response.  Yes, I have looked at the Better Broadband for Suffolk website, and it shows my area colour-coded as have fibre broadband available from 2013.  Unfortunately that's as far as it's prepared to commit itself!

I looked at pippin's commissioning link, which was deeply worrying!  What a tale of confusion and chaos!  However, I didn't really know whether to regard his experience as typical or a one-off tale of woe.

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 14

Penners wrote:

dfenceman - than ks for that response.  Yes, I have looked at the Better Broadband for Suffolk website, and it shows my area colour-coded as have fibre broadband available from 2013.  Unfortunately that's as far as it's prepared to commit itself!

Hi Penners,

Not as specific as your neighbouring county Cambridgeshire then Smiley LOL

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings