cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

How can I order FTTP

I have purchased a property that's remote, 200 mtrs from pole. I am trenching in a new water pipe, a new electric cable and running a new phone cable in duct at the same time. no one seems to be able to help with while i'm doing this to run from the house to the pole a new fibre cable in ducting so as when fttp becomes available I don't want to dig 200 metres again in the future.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: How can I order FTTP

Have you spoken to Openreach about this? You can't just use any old cable.

What makes you think FTTP wil be available anytime in the next decade?

Openreach should be able to use your exisiting ducting in future if needs be. You really need to contact BT about ordering service which I imagine would generate a survey of the site for you to then discuss options with Openreach.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 10

Is the phone cable duct the grey one supplied by Openreach?

If so then when and if you can get FTTP the Openreach Network Build Team, known as Stage 1 will pull in the Fibre Sub Duct when you order it.

They don't just put Fibre Cabling in the grey ducting along side the Copper Cable. They have to put in a Sub Duct that looks a bit like Hose Pipe. Then inside that they put fibre tuping in where they then blow in the fibre.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 10

Also a bit like the Copper Network the Openreach FTTP can vary in different areas of the country.

So the FTTP technology they use in say London may be different to that in Scotland.

So there's little point in anyone on here saying use this or that because in 2 years time when they come to do the installation the fibre cable you've put in is useless.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 10

Or of course there is the option of having a Private Ethernet Circuit Installed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Take out an extra mortgage if you go for that option. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 7 of 10

@TelephoneBob wrote:
Is the phone cable duct the grey one supplied by Openreach?

If so then when and if you can get FTTP the Openreach Network Build Team, known as Stage 1 will pull in the Fibre Sub Duct when you order it.

They don't just put Fibre Cabling in the grey ducting along side the Copper Cable. They have to put in a Sub Duct that looks a bit like Hose Pipe. Then inside that they put fibre tuping in where they then blow in the fibre.

A fibre duct is entirley different from a phone duct, there is also no Sub Duct, there is only a Fibre Duct as there is no need for a copper one.

On new build estates the developer contacts Openreach and is supplied with and installs all ducts, pits, and EZ-Bend cables into the properties for the developer to install. Openreach will then supply FTTP from the nearest node (normally close to the nearest cabinet if FTTC enabled).

Existing properties unless by virtue of FTTP being available in the area would have to apply for FTTPoD which is intended for businesses only hence the extortionate cost of supply. No ISP currently supplies FTTPoD to residential customers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

Duct is duct. Openreach use grey ducting. Fibre and copper is run along side each other in the same duct.
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

The fibre sub duct is put into the existing grey duct Pippin. I know, I work with it everyday.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Are you talking about the thick black tubing that they blow the fibre through? Or something different?
0 Ratings