cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rossington
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

How can an estimated/'guaranteed' speed be so wrong?

Hello,

I've recently moved from a house where I was happily getting 75mb down, thus was on BT Infinity 2, to a property where the BT web site claimed my estimated speed would be 79-80 and my guaranteed speed would be 74.

However, after gettting the new line installed, a couple of faults were discovered, promptly fixed (huzzah!), but now I'm getting only 36.

After getting yet another Openreach Engineer out, he confirmed that 36 was my lot and to give BT a call.

I did and they have dropped me down to BT Infinity 1. So great, I'm paying less, but not getting the speed that was originally 'promised'.

My question is as per the subject header? How can they estimation AND the 'guaranteed' speed be so far out? I would expect some difference of course, but nearly half??

My gut feeling tells me that I can get a lot faster and something isn't right somewhere.

Is there any further action I can take? Something someone may have missed perhaps?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Ross.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: How can an estimated/'guaranteed' speed be so wrong?

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the BTCare Community Forums.

Please post BT Home Hub 5 stats: http://192.168.1.254 > Troubleshooting > Helpdesk.

Please complete a BT Speed Test using a wired connection and post further results: http://speedtest.btwholesale.com

Please post result from the BT Broadband Availability Checker and remember to delete out your phone number: http://dslchecker.bt.com

Please complete a quiet line test. Dial 17070 and select option 2. The line should be quiet.

Are you connected via a SSFP or via a microfilter in the test socket?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

0 Ratings
Rossington
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

Okey dokey peeps. Results as follows - 

1. Product Name: HomeHub5
2. Serial number: +076284+1541009784
3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 20/1/2016
4. Board version: 01
5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 01:31:14
6. Data Rate: 5506 / 38156
7. Maximum Data Rate: 5554 / 38335
8. Noise Margin: 6.1 / 6.3
9. Line Attenuation: 38.1 / 24.9
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received: 39.7 MB / 503.9 MB
12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

btw.JPG

dsl.JPG

Also did the quiet line test and it was about as silent as you're gonna get it!

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Ouch. It looks like you have a line fault. If the BT Broadband Availability Checker result is correct, you should be able to get the full 80/20 Mbps that BT Infinity 2 offers.  Have you tried connecting the Hub to the test socket? 

Please complete a quiet line test. Dial 17070 and select option 2. The line should be quiet.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

if you have had 2 engineer visits and both cannot get faster speed it appears the checker results are wrong - not the first time

from your stats you have a connection speed about attainable with noise margin about normal 6db.  looks like there is not much more you can do- you have already dropped to infinity 1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Seems like either a line fault or the estimation is incorrect. If you've had an engineer who has found a fault and fixed it but also tested the maximum speed at 36meg then it could be that the estimation is incorrect.

One possibility is that you have a section of aluminium in your line from the cab. It't not as conductive as copper unfortunatley.

Are you currently connected to the test socket? If so I'd ask for another engineer visit to confirm if there's any issue with the line or if it's a case of the estimation was wrong.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
bayclove
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Hi @Rossington, I have the same issue as you. Had 70mb easily on Infinity 2 at old address. Didn't hesistate to keep BT when I moved but now I get 30-34MB max on >76MB. I have an engineer booked this week but BT previously said it could cost me £129.99 which is laughable. I've had service 2 months with guaranteed min of 46MB at signup but never reached and nowhere near the 76MB.

At first BT refused to send an enigeer stating it's my hub and they would send a new one. When I said I wanted to leave; they said it was a fault at the exhange. I would expect to be charged less on infinity 1 if it can't be fixed but would also be disappointed as we need the faster speeds for our multi-use household.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

you may have selected infinity 2 up to 80/78mb but your dslchecker estimate on previous post only showed 60/39mb conenction speed.  I asked you to post your hub stats but you never did so can you post now and forum members will try and help

0 Ratings