cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

How do I add a non-bt email address?

This is a repeat as my previous question has just been removed by the forum bods without any response for an unknown reason.

In newer version.

I cannot see how to add non-bt email addresses to use when sending via smtp.

I'm not talking about sub-accounts.

This used to be under 'Options'.

I cannot locate 'Options' in newer version.

'Settings' will show what is previously added, but cannot see means of adding more etc.

Or if never added any, how is this now done?

Please advise as I have several people asking about this.

Is the only means of achieving this to alter settings back to basic?

Because whilst I know of this method, it surely cannot be the method of going to a basic version to add non-bt email address or is that as BT intended?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: How do I add a non-bt email address?

Did you see my reply to your other thread?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

@Anje the moderators have not removed any of your posts today.  Your previous questions are all on this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/How-do-I-go-back-to-the-older-bt-yahoo-mail/m-p/1558127

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

That other question was about how to get back to old version because I could not see how to add a non-bt email address in the new version. That question was answered and solved, so I now know how to get back to old version.

I'm asking how do you add a non-bt email address in the new version.

Are you saying that it is not possible to add a non-bt email address in the new version, so that I can use bt smtp to send emails from non-bt email address ?

Are you saying that it is the official method to go back to old version in order to achieve this?

Is this something that has been a complete oversight by BT and those who create the website and it should be available in the new version, so it is a bug?

Or has it deliberately been removed for some unknown agenda?

Or have I just not been told how to do it in the new version?

It seems something is not quite right to tell people to change version in order to achieve this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@Anje You don't need to do anything in the webmail interface in order to use BT's SMTP server to send mail. In Thunderbird just set your xxx@btinternet.com and password as the SMTP server details. You can send mail using any SMTP server you have an account on.  One of the advantages of Thunderbird is that you only need to set up one SMTP server for as many email accounts as you like. The address it will appear to come from will be in the account settings for the non-bt email account.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

I don't think that could be at all correct.

Whilst you can set up the smtp to use the bt email address and bt smtp settings, that is not the issue.

If BT has no knowledge of the non-bt email address, then it cannot send using that non-bt email address because it does not know anything about it.  This would be a huge hole open to spam/phlishing etc.

Hence why there is this info:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10903/c/346/related/1

But that info comes via the 'Basic' or original version, with no clear instructions that it can only be done via the Basic as that has the 'Options' setting to get to it.  There is also no clear instructions on how to access the Basic in the first place.

I have been doing this for quite a while, so the question still remains, why is this apparently ONLY allowed to be set up via the old version...aka Basic. I've no issue with that, but it seems seriously wrong not to have it in the new version.

After all, who knows how long the 'Basic' will remain as it is. Hopefullt it will never be removed as currently it is the only version that is user-friendly and actually has all the options required.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

@Anje  You are missing the point, BT doesn't need to know about the non BT address, you are only receiving on that address. You are using your btinternet mail account to send with. It works, just try it I do it all the time. That link only applies if you are trying to authenticate on BT's SMTP server  with a non BT address, which you don't need to. You don't actually send with an email address per se, you just need an account on an SMTP server (which just happens to be an email address). You only receive on the email address.

Think of it in terms of the postal system. A letter addressed to you will be delivered to your letterbox, but you can post a letter in any postbox in the country without the recipient knowing where it came from. You can write your address on the back so the recipient will know if you so wish.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Yes authentication would need to be done via basic.

Yes you can send absolutely anything via bt smtp.

And I've just discovered, the full header information also discloses the full BT email address which you may deliberately not be using in your 'FROM' email address.

Thus if you use BT as your personal isp main email address, but have other email addresses you use as eg: Business or personal website etc and do not want your BT personal address to be known, then you cannot send uing the BT smtp as it will disclose your BT email address.

That clearly explains why I've sent emails from a specific website email address and wondered how on earth those people got my personal email address.

So BT are disclosing personal email addresses that you do not use in a FROM field, but if you use thei bt smtp server then it will fully disclose that smtp server email address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Address leakage seems to have become a problem since the advent of BTMail. See this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Disposable-addresses-on-BT-Mail/td-p/1328027/highlight/true

It is discussing disposable addresses but the principle is the same, using a btinternet.com address to authenticate with whilst sending from another address.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

thanks for the link.

Yes it is basically the same.

It does not matter if the email is a sub account, disposible address or a non-bt email address.

If you send using bt smtp, BT will fully disclose your email address which was not included in any way in the original email FROM etc details.

As this is a known fact, are you able to escalate this issue to a moderator or an offlicial BT person.

I would like to know why BT are discosing information I prefer to not be disclosed and what they intend to do about it.

As it has gone a bit off topic...should I create a new question that relates to this?

0 Ratings