cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevraff
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

How do I cancel without incurring charges

My BT Broadband has been unuseable all week and I've decided to take the plunge, sack BT and go with another provider.

I've spoken to the BT sales people - and they've told me that they can only cancel my contract if the 'technical' line agrees that there's a problem that they can't solve.

Of course, the technical staff believe that endless reboots and re-installations will somehow resolve the problem.  We've also got this issue of the 45-minute wait to speak to a script reader.

Can anyone tell me who I can contact (by phone, letter or e-mail) to discuss termination of my contract on the grounds that the service is below the standard that  can reasonably be expected?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: How do I cancel without incurring charges

with your attenuation you should have a conenction speed of about 2/2.5mb but from all the disconnections you have had hub/manual which has caused your noise margin to be raised with the reduction in your connection speed.

can you post your adsl stats again to show if any change from last set.  you will also need to post your stats if you need to contact the mods

At present I think it extremely unlikely you will be able to cancel your contract without penalty

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kevraff
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Here are my stats:  I think they're the same as yesterday.  Also tried to phone the helpline - but never got beyond the endless call queue.

I'm very confident that I'll be able get my contract cancelled if I can speak to someone who has the authority to allow it.  I'm on 24-hour callout and I NEED a decent VPN connection to do my job.  I had to make a forty-mile round trip on Sunday because I couldn't carry out some routine tasks over the VPN.

I'm pretty sure this counts as a decent reason to cancel.

Thanks for your help.

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:1 days, 02:25:51
Downstream:280.6 Kbps
Upstream:771.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):18.9 dB / 6.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):59.0 dB / 37.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):13.6 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):44 / 332
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):12 / 199
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):43 / 192

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

your connection is much the same as last set.  your noise margin is still high at 18.9 suggesting a possible noise problem with your connection

you confirm you were connected to the master but never answered when I asked about extensions sockets and whether you had any in other rooms.

as I said with your attenuation of 59 you have a potential connection of 2.5/3mb.  you are however still in the training period after the upgrade of your line to 21CN

I would also add that this is a residential service and it not supposed to be used for business purposes as set out the T&C

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kevraff
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

There is another extension in the house - but it isn't used.  The only connetion is to the master socket.

The line attenuation is the same as it's ever been.  Caused by the distance from the exchange.

I'm intrigued by your comments that the line should not be used for business purposes.

Many staff at my company use their residential broadband to connect to the VPN at work.  It is something that is very common in this day and age.  So, not only I - but a significant proportion of the work force would be affected by this restriction.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

if you have anothe extension socket even though not in use it could be causing you problem due to noise.  is it possible for you to connect to the test socket behind the bottom half of the master socket. then check and see if this improves your connection speed.

while there check to see if there is an orange bellwire attached to terminal 3 as it can act like an aerial for noise and should be disconnected in master and extension as explained here http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html

I know many people use the connection for work purposes but it will not be a reason to cancel

0 Ratings
kevraff
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

A few years ago when I had a total line failure, it was fixed by an Openreach engineer.  He tested the line and confirmed that he couldn't improve on the 60 db attenuation.

I'm not dismissing your advice and happy to give it a go - but could an wiring issue explain the sudden drop in IP Profile?  It was running fine at 2 Mbps unitil it dropped.

I also did the Quiet Line Test - and didn't get any noise on the line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

your profile dropped because your connection speed dropped.  profile is a function of speed not the other way round.  so to increase you profile you need to improve your speed.  in order to do that you need to get rid of the noise and get your margin down to nearer normal 6

this will explain your attenuation and also profiles  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

It may be worth you trying the Bell Wire Trick, as it seems to solve many people's problems with internal wiring.

The bell wire, such a nasty little thing! It's always connected to terminal three, and can be a great little menace to your broadband, causing it to interfere greatly with the speed:

Here's a guide on how to take it out using the kits site (great site aswell!) http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm .

🙂

0 Ratings