cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

How do I change the Wireless Key

Hi

I live in a shard house and the internet bill is in my name. despite previous advise to my flatmate not to exceed the limit, I've received my latest bill at 7 times the montlhy usage. I want to change the wireless password but so far cannot see any way of doing this. 

Many thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: How do I change the Wireless Key

I'm not sure if all hubs are the same, but probably very similar - mine is a hub3. To change the wireless key, go to:

Type bthomehub.home or 192.168.1.254 into your web browser bar. (This should open the hub homepage).

... Settings

... Advanced settings

... Enter hub password. Probably on a sticker on the hub. You may need to change this to stop your flatmate changing things back.

... Continue to advanced settings

... Wireless

... Config

... Wireless key (Change the key here).

I think that there is also somewhere in the hub settings where you can just disable specific devices.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@ach2 wrote:

I'm not sure if all hubs are the same, but probably very similar - mine is a hub3. To change the wireless key, go to:

Type bthomehub.home or 192.168.1.254 into your web browser bar. (This should open the hub homepage).

... Settings

... Advanced settings

... Enter hub password. Probably on a sticker on the hub. You may need to change this to stop your flatmate changing things back.

... Continue to advanced settings

... Wireless

... Config

... Wireless key (Change the key here).

Turn off WPS if this is available (BT are currently in the process of switching this back on)

Click Apply

I think that there is also somewhere in the hub settings where you can just disable specific devices.

Not that I know of, but using BT Access Control (if it now works correctly?) will limit how much time he gets on the net, should he fathom out the new wireless key;)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Hi DS, you're right - just checked. The access control can be set for a device to disable internet access for 23.5 hours a day, but not for 24 hours.

I know this works because I remember using it a couple of times on my stroppy teenager - then claimed it must be his laptop and Ipod which were playing up - and told him he needed to wind his neck in before I'd 'help' sort out his problem Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

While you're at it you can confound your flatmate a little more by changing the SSID (router broadcast name) if you want.

If none of that does the trick, here's a handy preventive device to plug into their computer/phone when they're not looking:

Spoiler
images.jpg

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings