Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichTeaBiscuit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

How do I check data usage?

Hello,

I have BT Infinity option 4. I realise that this is unlimited usage, but I'd like to check how much data I've used. Is there a way to check this?

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: How do I check data usage?

There is a long-winded and roundabout way to trick BT's system into giving you the data.  See here https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Check-Broadband-useage-on-unlimited/td-p/1420668 and scroll down to the fifth post.  It worked last time I tried it.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

If you have a Home Hub 4 A,Home Hub 5 A or Home Hub 5 B with the latest firmware it is now easier to check your usage using your Hub as the data values are not reset when they reach 4.3 GB. Note however the values will be reset if the HUB is reset or BT reboot it remotely.

0 Ratings
RichTeaBiscuit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the responses, couldn't get the first one to give me any result.

I don't use a HH, I use a Linksys WRT1900AC. I often rebooted my HH anyway!

Would support chat provide the information for me?

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

BT support staff have access to more information on your usage.  

They can give you Daily usage for the last 31 days, Monthly usage for the current month to date and Monthly usage for the last 12 months. 

This was made available to users who could get the information themselves  but BT removed the facility for reasons that they did not disclose.

Live chat may be reluctant to give you this but, if so, ask who can email the information to you.

I would expect that the linksys router should be able to give you your data usage as most routers do.

Also if you have been able to get your account key you should be able to get your usage for the month yourself.

0 Ratings
RichTeaBiscuit
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Unforunately the usage page just says under maintenence, I double checked I put my account ID in, still no joy.

Unfortunately the router only shows current bandwidth usage, not total.

Will try BT chat!

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 9

That could just be the weekend effect - BT's servers often go flaky at weekends as there's nobody there to tend them.

I've just tried it, and it gave the "not available" message until I entered in the magic 8-digit number (it seems to be 8 digits these days, not 7) in place of the X's.

In the last step, you should be directed to a URL that ends with "ackey=XXXXXXX".  Delete all the X's and insert the 7 or 8 digit number you find in the URL of the "Your Latest Bill" page (again, just after where it says "ackey=").

0 Ratings
martinwinlow
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

"...but BT removed the facility for reasons that they did not disclose."  The reason is that they don't want their customers saying to themselves "Ooh... I only use XXMB a month and I can get a much cheaper tariff that gives me more than that with a different provider!".  In short, they are making it difficult for you to switch... which I would have thought was against the law (and if it isn't, it should be).

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

You are posting on a four year old thread so you may not get a reply from the OP plus you may find that there are very few broadband packages regardless of which ISP that are not "unlimited" data packages.

0 Ratings