cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharkbiscuit79
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

How do I find out when openreach are connecting my cabinet.

Ok so I'm now at the point of tearing my hair out....

After a fault with our line almost 2 years ago I got talking to the engineer. He told me that the board in the exchange that runs our broadband is set for fibre but would need all the other work to be completed for it to go live i.e cabinet and cables layed ect ect but I should expect something to happen within a year. So I waited and waited and waited. I contacted BT whom I am a customer about said roll out in my area. They told me they do not have that information at which time the Openreach website line checker said the exchange was enabled but nothing else.

So I waited some more and last October/November (2014) we had sub contractors ask if they could store their plant machinery on our land.. we asked what they were doing to which they replied "digging the road and laying the tubeing for fibre cables for BT Openreach" . They also told us that they were there just to dig the road and NOT lay the cables.

After the work was completed I still heard nothing but then later found out that BT Openreach had installed the cables but had not connected said cables to our serving cabinet. We spoke to another Openreach engineer working outside our property and asked what they were doing and we were told its was work being carried out for "OUR" fibre broadband. (the cables stop at our property and go nowhere else we are literally at the end of the line).

So I have waited some more. Contacted BT (my ISP) and have been told yet again they do not know that information.

Again waited some more then tried the line checker via the openreach website this time I was greeted with your serving cabinet is now connected and ready for fibre orders..... guess what BT have told us that that cabinet is indeed live but our property is not connected. 

Openreach (via website) tell me to contact my ISP and when I do (BT) they tell me they do not have that information. I am being sent in very small circles. I know the line is there I know the excahnge is active and my serving cabinet is live but I can't contact anyone to find out when this work is going to be completed. Obviously OpenReach would be my best bet but there is no contact details for end user enquiries.

Some one is sat in an office sending out workmen/engineers. How on earth do I find this out???????????

Before I get any replies I know I have fibre line to the property I know my cabinet is live and I now my excahnge is ready. It seems that the only thing that needs doing is the line to the cabinet need connecting/activating. I want to know when or how I go about finding this out. I am on these forums as a last ditch attempt. I find it very frustrating that time and money as been invested closing and digging the road and setting everything up for it not to be completed and then make it impossible to find out why. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: How do I find out when openreach are connecting my cabinet.

what answer do you get if you enter your phone number https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

have you also checked the BDUK website to see if your area is included

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only line which will mean you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.
0 Ratings
sharkbiscuit79
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

As stated in my origonal post I am connected to a cabinet and NOT directly to the exchange. The links provided tell me what I already know.

I have already done line checks and I have been told I should be included in the roll out. My question is who do I contact? 

I already have broadband 7mb down 0.3mb up. I am asking when will I get FIBRE. 

broadband line check.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

the checker does not show any FTTC estimated date for your cabinet suggesting it is not included in current rollout  have you checked the BDUK website to see if your cabinet is included in their plans

only openreach know when and if your cabinet will be upgraded and there is no connection from here to openreach anymore than there is from any other ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 8

Hi sharkbiscuit79,

Yes your cabinet 10 on the Crediton exchange has already been installed and linked with a FTTC DSLAM cabinet (making it able to provide FTTC fibre broadband) and has been Accepting FTTC orders since December 2013.  PCP10 (with it's DSLAM cabinet within 100meters of it) is locate on the junction of Commercial Road and the A3072.

However by the looks of things your are just too far away to obtain a FTTC (VDSL2) connection, meaning FTTC fibre broadband is not available to you.

Have a look at the Connecting Devon and Somerset Considerations (particularly the last paragraph) - http://www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk/where-when-map-conditions/

Your best bet is to talk to Connecting Devon and Somerset to see if there are any further plans to get a fibre based service to your area via https://www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk/contact-us/ (as your area may not be inscope of any further deployment). Best give them your full address and landline number too as they can check if you are within a NGA area.

0 Ratings
sharkbiscuit79
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

The fiber cables are right out side our house (they dug up our road and closed it for several weeks to put them in)!!!! An engineer said it was for our property!!!! We are at the end of the line the cables go nowehere else!!!! We have been told by a second engineer that the work just needs completing!!!!  My question is who do I contact????? Can I get hold of Openreach????? 

0 Ratings
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 8 of 8

Hi again sharkbiscuit79

As the deployment is being done under the Connecting Devon and Somerset BDUK programme, then you need to contact Connecting Devon and Somerset. https://www.connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk/contact-us/

You can't directly talk to Openreach as your area is under BDUK

They should be able to telll you what is happening. As you said "ifber cables are right out side our house", then that could be FTTP, but I couldn't find any information about any area served by cab 10 getting FTTP.

Best to talk to Connecting Devon and Somerset.

0 Ratings