cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paul_12345
Message 1 of 15

How do I get the BTFON iPhone app on a foreign phone

Hi,

My iPhone is not linked to the UK iStore - how can I get the BTFON app?

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
allanm
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: How do I get the BTFON iPhone app on a foreign phone

If you do not have access to the UK Apps Store , then you will not be able to download this App.  Unless BT have made the App avail in other App stores then you are out of luck.

0 Ratings
stevesampson
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Is this still true? I have a landline account with BT but an HTC Desire on an Austrian network BT FON would be a great help. When I go to market BT FON does not show up. What can I do?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

The apps only work on UK registered phones
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 15

@stevesampson wrote:

I have a landline account with BT but an HTC Desire on an Austrian network BT FON would be a great help. When I go to market BT FON does not show up. What can I do?

The app is not essential to connect , it just makes it easier (when it works!). When you are in a hotspot, BT Fon and/or Openzone will show in the available connections on your HTC at Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings. If you are a BT broadband customer tap the connection, launch your browser when connected, choose BT Total Broadband on the landing page and enter your BT primary account sign-in details. That should do it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
stevesampson
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

John46 / pottyperson, thanks for these answers. 

I was hoping someone would know a workaround to make the FON application work on my Austrian phone. While I can connect as you explain, it would be much more convenient if it just did it. A bit like mobile telephony!

It never amazes me how stupid BT is, but in fact it starts at the top. The CEO is in total denial as to what a poor job his company does. Surely from their point of view the issue is not where the phone comes from, but does the customer buy a broadband service. Well they have succeeded once again in irritating a customer which appears to be their corporate goal.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

@stevesampson wrote:

I was hoping someone would know a workaround to make the FON application work on my Austrian phone. While I can connect as you explain, it would be much more convenient if it just did it. A bit like mobile telephony!

I have a HTC desire and once I have initially set up connection to BTFON whether using app or seaching wifi connections then I will connect to any BTFON signal when not connecting to my own wireless network.  so only initial set up required and no need to login everytime

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

If your phone was UK registered then you would be able to access your app store and download the app which is the situation for the majority of mobile phone users it is the same as saying why can't i have BT broadband in Austria the service is not available there it is only available in the UK
0 Ratings
smev
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

If you temporarily change to a UK SIM (assuming an unlocked phone), would the app be downloadable, even if you are not physically in the UK?
stevesampson
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

@john46 wrote:
If your phone was UK registered then you would be able to access your app store and download the app which is the situation for the majority of mobile phone users it is the same as saying why can't i have BT broadband in Austria the service is not available there it is only available in the UK

No its not the same. BTFON is a service that provides to its Broadband customers in the UK. I am one of those. However while my HTC could be connected to any UK service contract, just because it happens to be connected to an Austrian one they withdraw the service. Just another example of the crass stupidity of BT.

0 Ratings