cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

How do I get through to a UK Call centre to manage a fault ?

Go to solution

Hi,

I understood BT were returning calls centres to the UK but I can only get through to 3rd party agents in India with no telecoms knowledge. I have a fault on my line. I spent 30mins on the phone to an Indian agent with poor English and only the most basic ticket was raised but he spent a long time telling I might be charged £30 (I think hard to understand) to get an engineer fix the fault. 

As a former telecoms architect I can be quite specific about the fault symptoms and what has been tried to help narrow down the problem but I can't get through to anyone who is capable of typing in what I say to a box on a screen.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: How do I get through to a UK Call centre to manage a fault ?

Go to solution

Hi ElizabethB and welcome

There was a rumour about the call centres returning to the UKSmiley Happy, but it's gone very quiet nowSmiley Sad

It appears that it depends on what options you press during the call as to where the call ends up. I've had many conversations with Indian reps and very few with UK reps, both using the same number.

You could try Live Chat or any of the other methods on this link - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/346,401,773

The charge would be £130 IF the fault is after the master socket

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

£130 that's appalling when they provide so little in the way of diagnostic tools/support Smiley Mad We've plugged a basic phone into the master socket and still see the problem.

I've tried connecting to the livechat thanks, the wait is apparently 9mins (or 9hrs it didn't give the unit of time Smiley Indifferent) - any idea where they are based ?

What does concern me is if the problem is at the exchange and is fixed as a result of ongoing work what proof would I have that the problem was a BT one. I think it's safe to assume they wouldn't release details of current jobs in the local exchange and network and faults seen in their OSSs to prove there wasn't a problem their end...?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@ElizabethB wrote:

£130 that's appalling when they provide so little in the way of diagnostic tools/support Smiley Mad We've plugged a basic phone into the master socket and still see the problem.

I know...Smiley Sad

Depending on the master socket style, I presume you've removed the front lower cover and plugged the phone in to the test point, with a known to be good filter?

I've tried connecting to the livechat thanks, the wait is apparently 9mins (or 9hrs it didn't give the unit of time Smiley Indifferent) - any idea where they are based ?

To the best of my knowledge and experience, they're UK based

What does concern me is if the problem is at the exchange and is fixed as a result of ongoing work what proof would I have that the problem was a BT one. I think it's safe to assume they wouldn't release details of current jobs in the local exchange and network and faults seen in their OSSs to prove there wasn't a problem their end...?

Ongoing work? - Are BT Openreach working in your area?

From looking around these forums, if BT have discovered a fault, they're honest about it and will post enough relevant information for us to digestSmiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the tip on livechat. That got me through to someone who got a UK based engineer to phone and let me plug the phone into the test socket and confirm to her that the phone was still dead. A little later the phone was fixed but my broadband speeds are still 1/50th of the minimum speed BT claim I should be getting (sigh).

A call to cancel the callout for the phone put me through to India again. Got someone with better english (I could mostly understand) and more technical expertise. He is supposed to be doing some tests and ringing back. If I get no where I'll try the livechat process again.

Ridiculous process though, that we can only get faults fixed in any sort of timely manner if we bypass normal support

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

This is fast becoming absurd. I just had a 'BT' agent from India ring me and insist that the phone problem had been fixed by an engineer visit where he had found my equipment was at fault! I did point out I'd have noticed! even so it took some time to convince him this was not the case.

Why oh why do BT persist in out sourcing their customer service like this

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Hi Elizabeth, keep a close eye on your next bill........
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@ElizabethB wrote:

This is fast becoming absurd. I just had a 'BT' agent from India ring me and insist that the phone problem had been fixed by an engineer visit where he had found my equipment was at fault! I did point out I'd have noticed! even so it took some time to convince him this was not the case.

Why oh why do BT persist in out sourcing their customer service like this

I agree this is absurd.

Contact the mods on the following link. They'll access the case file and sort this out as soon as they can. They are UK based, but you may need to wait up to 72 hours for a reply - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings