Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith66
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

How do I keep BT IP address up to date to view CCTV cameras on DVR whilst away

Go to solution

Our 4 CCTV external home security cameras are linked to a DVR and Monitor in the house
The DVR is a 4CH  H.264 Multiplex DVR
I have a Dyndns address to which my BT IP address  is updated by a Dyndns updater on the PC
We have a BT 4 Hub - When my BT IP address changes the updater picks up the change and the change is relayed to my Dyndns account
This of course depends on my PC being switched on 
We use Ipcam viewer pro to monitor our cameras whilst we are away from home 
Last time we were away the BT IP address changed and as the PC is not left on whilst we were away we could not connect to our cameras via the Ipcam viewer
Is there any way round this problem 
I am only a beginner / improver as far as technology is concerned but can usually sort things out if pointed in the right direction 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: How do I keep BT IP address up to date to view CCTV cameras on DVR whilst away

Go to solution

The home hubs have an inbuilt Dynamic DNS updater where you can enter your DynDNS user name, password, and host name.

If the public IP address changes, the home hub updates DynDNS.

Look under help, A-Z, Dynamic DNS.

hh4ddns.jpg

Keith66
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: How do I keep BT IP address up to date to view CCTV cameras on DVR whilst away

Go to solution

Wow - Thanks Keith

Followed your instructions and have inserted my details in my hub

Got the following confirmation on screen to confirm that it was successful

"Dynamic DNS service status: Connected - IP address updated successfully"

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

There, that was painless Smiley Wink

MorgaineD
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
+1 for Keith. He doesn't need them, but he certainly earns them. 🙂
0 Ratings
Keith66
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Yes Keith - very quick and painless !!

I have been wondering what to do on this one since June - We were away on holiday and on 2nd day acccess to cameras went down because the BT IP address changed

Had never thought the answer might lie in the BT hub

As you had recently helped on the port forawrding issue re my CCTV I just thought it was worth me running this one past the forum

Glad I did ask as you solved it instantly:smileyvery-happy Smiley Very Happy

Cheers and Many thanks Keith 

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

BT needs to increase its IP address "stickiness" though, so that IP address change is no longer such a problem.

Virgin and Sky also provide dynamic IP allocation, but Virgin stickiness is enormously higher, so high that you quite often have the same IP address for a year or more, regardless of router reboots, network faults, electricity outages, or Trump becoming Emperor of the Known Universe. 😉

It hasn't mattered too much on IPv4, but BT's dynamic non-stickiness is going to be a colossal problem on IPv6 if it continues to work the same way. Hopefully BT realized at design time that that would be a disaster because of IPv6's end-to-end connectivity, and raised the stickiness.

But that's just me wearing my optimist's hat. 😛

0 Ratings