cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

How do I send a P.M., how private is it & are there any restrictions?

Hi Kerry / Team,

We were wondering how do we P.M. another member. (Might be a good one to put as a "Sticky")

We're having a few problems / concerns / questions at the moment, some of which, given the rules that govern the new forums, and the lack of a "general banter" area Smiley Sad we wouldn't / arent allowed to post publicly here.

Also , are these P.M.'s truely private, ie not accessible or monitored by anyone else either within BT or not?

If they are accesible and read or monitored by anyone other than the sender and the intended recipient is it OK to discuss any matters by P.M. without any fear of moderation or retribution? 

Cheers   im & er

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Old_Bear
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: How do I send a P.M., how private is it & are there any restrictions?

Hi guys,

If it helps, you may be interested to know that Omniture (search the forum for more info) is alive and kicking and tracking away on the "Compose new PM" page. That's about as much as you may need to know to make a decision on whether messages are 'private' or not.

I was going to ask this previously, but never got round to it as I've been waiting on an expanation of why my private billing pages were being tracked by a company outside the UK.

OB

I'm a Private person; I respect those who respect my Privacy.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Hi im & er

If you look next to your log in id (below Search the community) you should notice an envelope type picture. Mine is grey and has always been this colour although I believe that somewhere in the BT paperwork is does mention yellow. If you click on that you will be put on the private messenger page. Next to the envelope is (0). This tells you when you have received any PM's. By clicking on Forum Help (far right of your log in id) all the info is there for carrying out all tasks on the forum. The lowest one is what you're after.

On the subject of security of your Private messages. Old_Bear has made a good comment and until recently I was not too concerned. This has now been changed (prior to O_B's post). Having spoken to a good friend I am now not so sure just how private the private messages are. So in light of that I would like to see a moderator response to your concern.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Ah yes, see it now. Thanks DS.

Going to wait for the mod's response before sending anything through though.

Don't want us to be the next victims of a drive-by "Asta-La-Vista baby, you've just been moderated" type moment. Smiley Wink

We're gonna need all the help we can get on our latest trail for speed improvements.

@OB

Checked out "Omniture", and "Lithium", who's logo appears at the bottom of the forum home page, are one of their "Gold" sponsors for something or other so it's not unexpected to find them running their software.

Edit:-Smiley Surprised

Having read more into the packages delivered by Omniture, and the facilities offered by some of them Smiley Surprised I'm saying nothing else on the matter in the public forum, except perhaps to ask, if I can, which packages are running? & to say that if we're still allowed to stay forum members but be able to opt out of continuing to have our data used/collected in this way then we'd very much like to do so?  

Don't remember such an option being available on the sign up form though? & we always tick or don't tick those boxes at the end of forms to stop them sharing our details "with our partner companies" etc. and we read everything, before signing anything.

Maybe that option wasn't available? Another one for Kerry and Co.

Cheers

0 Ratings
StewartM
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Locked, why?

Stewart
0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 10

Stewart, I think thats what is known as a troll, "registered 7 hours ago and with a username like that"

I've always been advised not to feed them i.e. not respond & just let the mods delete their posts & move them on.

Cheers

Garry

0 Ratings
Highlighted
StewartM
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Point taken.

Stewart
0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 8 of 10

Hi GARRY_AND_SUSIE

Thanks for the ‘forum sticky’ suggestion re: PMs.

We do not monitor PMs, but the facility does exist within the software to allow us to moderate these should the need arise.  For example, if a user had received abusive, harassing or threatening PM’s and reported this to the moderation team, we would certainly investigate.

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

It's nice to have a simple, straightforward, answer and nothing that should upset anyone.  I'd have offered KerryG a rating for that - if it was still possible, or I was playing that game - so this will have to suffice:

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
GARRY_AND_SUSIE
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for that, Smiley Happy  Just have to remember what it was we wanted to ask, and who it was we were going to ask Smiley Sad The joys of getting older

Re the question in our later post (post 4) about opting out of the data colection carried out by Omniture whilst on the forum, We'll have another look through the privacy policy & COP & come back to you if we still cant find the address. Must admit it didn't jump out the first time so I printed both docs out to have a more thorough look.

It's an age thing again Smiley Sad, info from a screen just doesn't sink in as well as something printed on paper.

Cheers

0 Ratings