cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicole1986
Message 1 of 18

How do i stop others using my wireless connection?

Go to solution

hello

i'm new to this so hope i'm posting in the right place.

I am wanting to find out how to stop others from getting into my wireless connection.  can anyone advise.

thanks

nicole

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: How do i stop others using my wireless connection?

Go to solution

what router do you use?  if bt hub which version?  do you use wireles connection yourself?  wpa security should be ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

@nicole1986 wrote:

I am wanting to find out how to stop others from getting into my wireless connection.  can anyone advise.

a) If you don't need wireless yourself, turn it off in your router (might not be straightforward, depending on the router) or

b) ensure that your wireless is secured (WPA/WPA2) and keep the security key to yourself.

nicole1986
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

thanks for this, it's bt home hub 2.  yes use wireless myself.  how do i get wpa security

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

your hh2 comes with wpa as standard

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Hi and welcome.

Unlike a lot of routers the BT Homehub does come as default with WPA security set, is there any reason why you think you need to stop others using your wireless?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

The BTHHv2 actually comes with WPA & WPA2 by default.

WPA uses Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP). WPA2 is capable of using TKIP or Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).

To put your mind at ease:
WPA was created to replace Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) - WEP is easy to crack.
Despite WPA being much harder to crack, it is still possible with the use of more advanced tools.
Here's where WPA2 comes in to play. WPA2 addresses the above problem by using the AES algorithm.
Passwords created with the AES algorithm are, in theory, virtually uncrackable.

Also, the home hub has ALL the details needed to gain access, on a label, on the rear, that could be seen by anyone if it was placed in public view, so change the hub admin password AND the wireless key.
(If it's the first time you've entered the hub manager, you'll have to change the admin password anyway).

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Paigntonian
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Ok, in English Smiley Wink

If you used a password to connect your laptop/pc whatever, to your wireless router, then its secure.

Without that password, nobodys going to get into it.

------Marc------
meaga-byte
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

I dont know if this is of any help by i myself am rather paranoid lol.

If you only have a set number of devices that will connect to your wireless router have you tried setting ACLs?

Access controll lists can be used to filter by MAC address and not just password meaning that if someone outside your network wants to illigally gain access to your internet and somehow has gotten hold of your password they laptop will not be able to connect because their MAC address is not in your MAC table.

This can be a little over the top for new users and im not sure if the Homehub supports this. I personaly never used the home hub but went for a Draytek instead.

PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Paigntonian said
---------------------
Ok, in English

If you used a password to connect your laptop/pc whatever, to your wireless router, then its secure.

Without that password, nobodys going to get into it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But don't be silly & use a simple password that is easy to guess or be brute forced (more than 22 characters recommended)
or
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
Then make a note of it but keep the information well away from any prying eyes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

meaga-byte said
--------------------

I dont know if this is of any help by i myself am rather paranoid lol.
If you only have a set number of devices that will connect to your wireless router have you tried setting ACLs?

Access controll lists can be used to filter by MAC address and not just password meaning that if someone outside your network wants to illigally gain access to your internet and somehow has gotten hold of your password they laptop will not be able to connect because their MAC address is not in your MAC table.

This can be a little over the top for new users and im not sure if the Homehub supports this. I personaly never used the home hub but went for a Draytek instead.

Although this will prevent casual intrusion, the MAC Address unfortunately is transmitted with every packet so it is not any deterrent to a "script kiddie" or attacker determined to compromise your network.

Episode #11 should explain the basics.

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings