Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 48

Re: How does BT Infinity Equipment Work

Go to solution

As I shall shortly be moving to Infinity, my previewing experience of the BT Infinity website has been much the same as the OP. I build all my own computers  using Linux OSs and really only expect the engineer to install the modem by the master socket and then I can do the rest .All I really wanted to know in advance (to save asking the engineer) is what sort of cabling is required to do the job and how the modem and hub are interconnected. A simple diagram with the different types of cabling used would have been much more helpful than a rather irritatingly patronising  video, woefully short on detail,  telling the viewer how terribly clever BT and its Infinity engineers are ... come on, we all know that already!

I think BT and other large companies can surely learn from such valid criticisms ... the customer may not always be right but they are entitled to know the full specifications of a product before any purchase?

After all, we are not all dummies!

End of moan! Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 48

Go to solution

@Gezobel wrote:

As I shall shortly be moving to Infinity, my previewing experience of the BT Infinity website has been much the same as the OP. I build all my own computers  using Linux OSs and really only expect the engineer to install the modem by the master socket and then I can do the rest .

<snip>
... the customer may not always be right but they are entitled to know the full specifications of a product before any purchase?

On that very point, I was pleased to come across this post... I was scratching my head and looking for more information about how BT Infinity is installed and configured technically, because - according to the BT Infinity site (by implication, from the "PC specification" list) and as "confirmed" BT's own sales staff - "you can't use Linux with BT Infinity..."  Smiley Mad

I mean, I was half expecting this, but it's so frustrating when this is all packaged up for maximum sales to minimally-informed customers, and the drive is for marketing even if factual accuracy and adequate technical information are both casualties along the way.

Why, oh why, does BT - allegedly a technology company - not provide accurate information for key information sources like its Web site?? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 48

Go to solution

Linux and BT Infinity

I use Linux Mint 10, and have also been researching use of Linux with BT Infinity.  Up until now, the most clear Linux / Infinity information from BT Help is as below:

"Linux computers will work fine over a BT Infinity line.  However, not all BT Infinity services will work on a Linux machine."

Several posts have claimed success with Ubuntu and BT Infinity, so Linux will work with BT Infinity ( at least in part), but playing with different Linux operating systems may be necessary.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 48

Go to solution

The problem here is that the huge mass of the population and most companies give Linux a very wide berth as they simply do not understand anything about Linux and therefore prefer to give safe negative answers.

There is absolutely no reason why Infinity should not work with Linux ... the operating system is totally separate from the type or speed of the broadband ... the cabling to the computer from the hub is the same whatever the operating system!!

What the enginer is unable to do apparently is install the Winows Software onto a Linux computer ... well, surprise, surprise ... no real problem there as modern Linux Desktop systems like Ubuntu etc, don't need an installation program, anyway! The 'services' that one cannot use will be, for example, the McAfee software for Windows ... but on Linux you don't really need that as well! I had the same negative responses from sales staff about Linux with my current provider, 02, whern I told them I used Linux. There was absolutely no problem at all in getting it working and in fact it was much smoother and faster getting it up and running on Ubuntu than on my Windows Vista machine which required the usual laborious installation CD process.

Anway, I'm having my Infinity fitted this Thursday (hopefull) so I'll confirm then on this Forum if I experience any unexpected snags or not... Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 48

Go to solution

Infinity fitted this morning. Took about 30 mins ... only issue was that HUB3 refused to get going so was replaced with HUB2 which started immediiately and the engineer said was far superior anyway. The thing about the engineer bringing a lap-top with Windows on it to make sure everythingis  okay if the customer has a Linux computer is utter rubbish. Linux (at least Ubuntu) doesn't need a silly CD  as it 'just works out the box'. Even better I appear to be getting 38.5 meg (as advised by the engineer) and not the 28.5 meg promised after the line test.Apart from the master-socket issue there is nothing unusual about Infinity or its home cabling which is just ordinary DSL and ethernet.

Right now, I'm a pretty happy bunny to say the least, but there definitely appears to be an issie with HUB3 which seems to be a cheaper, smaller and obviously inferior version of HUB2.

Can't fault the service and the product has exceeded expectations by some distance ... seems too good to be true but I have to say, on this occasion, well done BT! Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 48

Go to solution

One other thing. The no more than 2m stipulation from master socket always raised some suspicions with me as the standard RJ11 ADSL cable length just happens to be ... yes, you've guessed it ... 2m!!

I'm currently using a 5m lead with no deterioration in speed whatsoever ... I can well understand that BT can only realistically nclude one size in the modem box and the standard one is exactly that. However, it should simply tell customers that if they require a slightly longer lead they will have to purchase that themselves and replace the standard cable later. They should stop treating their customers like idiots epitomised by that terribly patronising video on Infinity installation on its website.

However, for me these have been relatively minor irritations compared to the service I now enjoy with Infinity. For the first time ever, not only am I getting the speed promised, but sometimes considerably greater (38 meg) ... and I'm two miles from my local echange and the local green cabinet is probably over 500m away though I haven't paced it out!

In the last analysis, I suppose that is all that really matters to me ... I'll gladly settle for idiot-status if I end up with the desired product !

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 48

Go to solution

@Kenny48 wrote:

Your existing BT hub, be it white or black is no use.   Not so: If you already have a BT HH 3 ,this will be okay. It is what they would supply anyway   You are sent a new infinity hub. The equipment does not need to be installed next to your master socket, It can be fitted up to 30m away but does need a cat 5 cable to be surface wired to the required position. All your existing phone extensions are left working as before. The master socket is meant to be left where it is. You will require 2 mains power outlets, 1 for the new hub and 1 for the new Openreach modem. 

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 48

Go to solution
I`d be really interested to learn how a HH2 works with infinity...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 48

Go to solution
Hi it does not work with infinity there wer some that were modified for use withinfinity when it first started but most are HH 3's the early hh2's that were used had one of the ethernet ports changed to become the input port like the current HH 3 has
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 20 of 48

Go to solution
Which port on a hh2 is used? is there a firmware mod needed? - I`m curious because I`m having infinity installed tomorrow and currently I`m on a hh2 , I was reading the thread about the LAN speed problem and it sounds like the hh3 is pants!
0 Ratings