Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
quaffa
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

How does an email address 'die'?

Go to solution

After falling victim to copious amounts of offensive spam over the last few months I had BT change my primary email address last week.

At one point I think I said that I would monitor my old address for a bit until I was sure I had no loose ends still flapping in it, after which I said I would delete it. The tech then said that I couldn't delete it, and that it would delete itself after a number of days 'without use', but I can't remember how many he said.

Does anyone know how many days this would be, please?

Also, what would 'without use' mean, exactly. If I occasionally visit my webmail inbox and clear it of the spam, would that count as 'use', even though no messages were being sent from the address?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Brokk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: How does an email address 'die'?

Go to solution

I don't think it's possible to give a definite answer to this. There might be a computer script which says "delete email address after N days not used", but if there is we don't have access to it. Or it might be flagged up and subject to manual deletion, in which case it would depend on when someone gets round to doing it.

Best to just enjoy the thought of spammers getting responses saying "your email could not be delivered because the destination mailbox is full". Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
quaffa
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: How does an email address 'die'?

Go to solution
Yeah. Not a bad idea... Thanks.
0 Ratings