Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 61 of 67

Re: How does the BT Fon app work?

Go to solution

(much snipping throughout - this discussion is getting too unwieldy, and I'm running out of colours...)

[DS]

So you agree that the app controls the wireless manager?

Of course I agree - it's what I've been trying to tell you all along !

[DS]

(Sorry for not making this clearer before)

At least we got there in the end 🙂

[DS]

But yes I fully understand and accept why you said the manager makes the connection.

Erm...because it does ?

[DS]

The wireless manager makes the connection by being asked/made/forced(?) to do this by the app (read above)

Hallelujah !

The other point that you seem hung up on is the app looking for the state of the wireless interface. When I asked before how you think it could know that a Fon access point was available, and could therefore be connected to and logged into, you replied “via the login part…”

Until you can explain how a login can take place, without looking (via WiFiManager) at the wireless interface, there’s really no point in continuing this particular point.

Re: your comment that: 

[DS]

I'm sure I read that you "stand corrected" - I need to re read earlier posts to confirm

I'll save you the effort - I stand corrected in that I hadn't noticed that the app restarts when the wireless interface is started. Nowhere have I said that I see the same behaviour that you're seeing.

[DS]

From my own observations, the app fires back in after a few mins, even if the wireless interface has not dropped - checking the hubs event log does back up that it didn't drop, as did the visual notification on the phone.

So something is causing your app to behave abnormally, in which case it shouldn’t come as a surprise if your wireless behaves unusually. While uninstalling the app, or otherwise preventing it from being loaded, may cure your problem, it doesn’t identify the root cause of why it behaves that way.

And as for rooting the 'phone in order to run software that'll disable the package - I'd strongly advise anybody to first try the UI provided.

Distinguished Guru
Message 62 of 67

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

(much snipping throughout - this discussion is getting too unwieldy, and I'm running out of colours...)

(Snipped even more, tis giving me a headache...)

The other point that you seem hung up on is the app looking for the state of the wireless interface. When I asked before how you think it could know that a Fon access point was available, and could therefore be connected to and logged into, you replied “via the login part…”

Until you can explain how a login can take place, without looking (via WiFiManager) at the wireless interface, there’s really no point in continuing this particular point.

Fair enoughSmiley Happy

Re: your comment that: 

[DS]

From my own observations, the app fires back in after a few mins, even if the wireless interface has not dropped - checking the hubs event log does back up that it didn't drop, as did the visual notification on the phone.

So something is causing your app to behave abnormally,

Sure is, it's this 'something' that maybe a mod could find out and answer...?

in which case it shouldn’t come as a surprise if your wireless behaves unusually.

But my wireless is fine, auto switching between my hubs, connecting manually if need be, though not when the app is installed...

While uninstalling the app, or otherwise preventing it from being loaded, may cure your problem, it doesn’t identify the root cause of why it behaves that way.

I know, I can only say it must be something within the app, that must be jiggering up my wireless manager.

And as for rooting the 'phone in order to run software that'll disable the package - I'd strongly advise anybody to first try the UI provided.

I did try the UI first. Rooting was my last option for this problem, though having since found other apps (ie Ad Free), which also need a rooted phone to work, rooting works for meSmiley Wink

Though there is an app that allows safe rooting

(oh gawd, hope no one asks what this wonder app isSmiley Very Happy)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 63 of 67

Go to solution

DS wrote:

IanC wrote:

While uninstalling the app, or otherwise preventing it from being loaded, may cure your problem, it doesn’t identify the root cause of why it behaves that way.

I know, I can only say it must be something within the app, that must be jiggering up my wireless manager.

That's a bold statement, and not one that I'd be prepared to make myself.  It's not unusual, when developing/debugging software & systems, to find an "issue" with one that only manifests itself in another.

I did try the UI first. Rooting was my last option for this problem, though having since found other apps (ie Ad Free), which also need a rooted phone to work, rooting works for meSmiley Wink

There are ways to (relatively) safely achieve a similar result - eg temproot, but truly rooting the device will always contain an element of risk.  Safe isn't a word I'd ever use in conjunction with anything that involves messing with core /system files.

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 64 of 67

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

@DS wrote:

@IanC wrote:

That's a bold statement, and not one that I'd be prepared to make myself.  It's not unusual, when developing/debugging software & systems, to find an "issue" with one that only manifests itself in another.

I know it isSmiley Sad, AFAIK I've ruled out anything pre installed on the phone and anything installed after that could be causing this, bar the app.

There are ways to (relatively) safely achieve a similar result - eg temproot, but truly rooting the device will always contain an element of risk.  Safe isn't a word I'd ever use in conjunction with anything that involves messing with core /system files.

I guess I should of added "relatively safe"Smiley Sad

and included that it allows the user to root and then unroot their phone.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Crockhamtown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 65 of 67

Go to solution

Hello Keith_Beddoe

You said something that struck a cord.Viz. "There is an option to enable it to make an automatic connection, but I have that disabled."

I changed to BT's new router recently and picked up BT wifi by default. My wife has a Samsung Tablet and it drives her mad to find that BT wifi (aka BT Open Zone) takes precedence over our normal router. She dislikes BT Open Zone because she has to log in with my data which she keeps forgetting and then she has to navigate a complex website. She knows that she can go settings from the Desktop and click on the router wifi which will then take over and get to the google website. I get it in the neck because I don't know how to make it easy for her. I say it might be useful for when we go on holiday.

A long story. Actually all I want to know is can I disable the automatic connection? Can you help?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 66 of 67

Go to solution

can you not make your home network ssid the priority so it will connect to that first that way when at home it conencts to home network but when out it will connect to any BTWIFI signal it finds.

that is how my S5 and Ipads are set up

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Crockhamtown
Aspiring Contributor
Message 67 of 67

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly

I think I fouled up on giving a rating. Wanted to give more than one. Also couldn't find "Mark as accepted solution".

0 Ratings