Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 67

Re: How does the BT Fon app work?

Go to solution
I was looking at the status of the wireless connection, where it shows the assigned IP address, gateway and DNS servers.

The IP lease time was 15 minutes, after which it changed to another 15 minute period. The IP address remained the same.

The DNS servers wherein the 192.168.xxx.xxx range and the IP addresses in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range, ending in 50, from what I remember.
I did take a screen shot, if I can find it.
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 67

Go to solution

Hmm, so if I'm reading this correctly (knowing me, probably not), one wonders if the hub(s) are set to remove device history after 15 mins, if they are no longer connected - to free up the 5 IP address allocations from each hub, yet the IP caching issue jams up the process as the device(s) are still in range of the hub(s)

edit. forgot to mention - BTFon techies are not sure why the caching issue only affects some hub2's - other hub2's operate as they should...

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 67

Go to solution
Just looked at the screenshot which I took.

IP address 10.165.115.52
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248
Default gateway 10.165.115.49

Did not capture the rest of the info.

This was of course being served by a hub3, so it may not be of any real help with the hub2 problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 67

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

This was of course being served by a hub3, so it may not be of any real help with the hub2 problem.

My (user modified) hub3 works fine with BTFon/Openzone, just wished the event log would calm down

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 35 of 67

Go to solution

Fon was activated at 01:15 (on 26/06) on the factory reset hub2 and it didn't work

The android phone could see BTFon and BTOpenzone yet initially BTFon randomly vanished and then either randomly vanished - didn't do this on the hub3

The android phone couldn't connect to BTFon for over 15 mins of trying - due to it vanishing? - It would try and then connect to my SSID

Eventually I managed to connect to BTOpenzone first, then eventually managed BTFon - I only connected for several seconds before I disconnected it.

So is my unmolested hub2b suffering from a corrupt firmware update - the GUI has changed slightly (BB section used to say "connected" now it's "ADSL connected") - and by even resetting it back to factory defaults won't clear this.

This does make one wonder how many more hub2's BT have out there that also have the same problem.

At least the hub3 works and BT are now sending these out to new customers, hmm, what about existing customers.....

I would have to say that BT can't remotely 'repair' the affected hubs already in use and if they ever carried out a mass recall, it would be an admission that they got it wrong, plus the financial implications would be huge.

Finally, one for BT to answer?

Oh dear, what happened?

On the 26/06 @ 11am(ish) my BB connection to the outside world was no more. Having carried out several checks I resorted to calling the overseas division. I was told that there was a known issue in my area - fair enough. The issue would to corrected within 48 hours - ah, not so good. I was told to expect a call this morning.

During the rest of the night and even this morning, no issues were reported in my area (a neighbour on TT checked), also the fault line (0800 169 0199) also reported no issues in my area.

So I called BTIndia again - huge mistake. I carried out the following at the request of the advisor-

Reset the hub2 back to factory settings - heck, there goes all my changed settings, plus lost the inoperable Fon

Reset IE9 to default - changed other IE9 settings (memory allocation)

Tried pinging BT selected sites - "not found"

Checked hub firewall

Checked AV firewall

and on and on and on

The hub2 has now been switched out for the hub3 - I await the Fon activation signal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 36 of 67

Go to solution

Fon is working fine on the hub3

mods/admin - I received an email from yourselves on the 17/06 regarding a post on this thread - I sent a reply to the email on 27/06 @ 17:22 highlighting another issue that I've raised on this thread - any news as I've now received an email today (@13:50) from another Dept'Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 67

Go to solution

A suggestion for those in a similar position.....

Having had a nightmare with my wireless on my Android phone, I've used an app from the market to 'freeze' the BT Fon app when at home.

ALL my wireless issues with my phone have now vanishedSmiley Happy

Then simply 'defrost' it when needed.

Obviously you could uninstall the app, but one could find it difficult to download it again when one isn't sure where a BT Fon spot is when out and about.

Though makes one wonder just what this app does in the background, possibly screwing with the wireless manager pre installed on the phone

Maybe a mod can find out - like the time I asked about the BTDH and received a very detailed reply

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 38 of 67

Go to solution

@DS wrote:

A suggestion for those in a similar position.....

Having had a nightmare with my wireless on my Android phone, I've used an app from the market to 'freeze' the BT Fon app when at home.

Ya gonna tell what this wonder app is ?

Message 39 of 67

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

Must be something to do with supping ale, he's changed his avatar [yawn] again Smiley Wink

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 67

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

I could, but then I'd........ oh, being as it's you Ian - Titanium Backup Pro

(There are means of obtaining paid for apps for freeSmiley Tongue - won't post on here thoughSmiley Wink)

0 Ratings