cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 41 of 67

Re: How does the BT Fon app work?

Go to solution

AQ, Nah, merely pointing out that BT have done a deal with Heineken to provide wireless hotspots in their boozers.

Does appear that one will be greeted to targeted content though - good job I'm tee-total then

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 42 of 67

Go to solution

@DS wrote:

@IanC wrote:

Ya gonna tell what this wonder app is ?

I could, but then I'd........ oh, being as it's you Ian - Titanium Backup Pro

(There are means of obtaining paid for apps for freeSmiley Tongue - won't post on here thoughSmiley Wink)

Crumbs - you do seem to make things unnecessarily complicated...

Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 67

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

Why do you think that Ian?

I find that it works very well and I can't see how I've made it unnecessarily complicated. The app, when installed, allows me to also freeze the pre installed junk that comes on many android phones, therefore using less resources on the phone. My other alternative would be to mess with the phone, with a slight risk of bricking the phone in the process, to force the removal of the unwanted rubbish.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 44 of 67

Go to solution

@DS wrote:

@IanC wrote:

Why do you think that Ian?

In this particular case...because there's already a UI to do it.

Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 67

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

I'm aware it can be done via the UI, but are you sure it 100% kills the app?

On my phone - when it's installed yet turned off, the wireless connectivity can be troublesome, when I uninstall the app (4 times to date) the wireless is perfect and likewise when I freeze the app, the wireless is again perfect.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 46 of 67

Go to solution

@DS wrote:

@IanC wrote:

Seems that way to me.

On my phone - when it's installed yet turned off, the wireless connectivity can be troublesome, when I uninstall the app (4 times to date) the wireless is perfect and likewise when I freeze the app, the wireless is again perfect.

If that were generally the case, I think there'd be far more problems reported than there are. With the various 'phone suppliers able to change all manner of things within the OS, and add/remove/modify apps, widgets etc at will, it can be difficult to know exactly where to point the finger...and that's without considering the ramifications of installing any of the myriad of 3rd party apps available...

My 'phone never gets turned off, and the Fon app has been sitting quietly in the background doing it's thing for several months now. 

It works flawlessly for me, with no detrimental effects whatsoever on other aspects of its wireless working.

Distinguished Guru
Message 47 of 67

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

@DS wrote:

@IanC wrote:

Seems that way to me.

Hmm, I'm still seeing it working even though it's off (Active unticked).

First image shows it turned off, yet the second image shows it's working as it's displaying what SSID I'm connected to.

snap20110824_232138.pngsnap20110824_232145.png

If that were generally the case, I think there'd be far more problems reported than there are.

I've been dealing direct with the fon guys. One guy in particular is very good with android phones. They confirm it's unusual and have used my scenario as a "we'll wait and see if others see this". Maybe it's my phone as it was only released in June?

The problem IMHO is how many customers are out there that don't know about these forums or that they can contact fon direct?

With the various 'phone suppliers able to change all manner of things within the OS, and add/remove/modify apps, widgets etc at will, it can be difficult to know exactly where to point the finger...and that's without considering the ramifications of installing any of the myriad of 3rd party apps available...

I agree, but do the suppliers need to lock the phone down so tightly in the first place....

and fill it with unwanted 'extras' that they think the user wants on the phone.

My 'phone never gets turned off, and the Fon app has been sitting quietly in the background doing it's thing for several months now. 

It works flawlessly for me, with no detrimental effects whatsoever on other aspects of its wireless working.

My phone does get turned off, but only when AdFree updates and suggests a reboot to clear the DNS Cache. You must be one of the lucky ones with the BTFon app, myself and others on these forums have had more than our fair share of problems with BTFon and the BTFon app.

At the end of the day, using TBP works for meSmiley Happy and still could help others

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 48 of 67

Go to solution

I think you misunderstand what that checkbox option does.  (that isn't the UI I was referring to, but never mind...)

It does disable the functionality of the app, in that with it unchecked the app won't offer to login to an available Fon access point. The app doesn't actually make the connection (the device wireless gubbins does that - automatically if configured that way - I thought we'd covered this earlier in this thread...) regardless of whether the Fon app is installed.

The app, which is obviously running as you're looking at it, is merely reporting the state of the wireless interface. That information is already available elsewhere - the Fon app is simply replicating that. 

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that your scenario is unusual. If it's that your Fon app reports that the wireless interface is connected (in this instance) to "Hub3slave", then I don't think that's unusual at all.

Personally, I would never suggest it's a good idea to root the device, with all the possible heartache that lies there, and install unnecessary software in order to perform a task that's already doable with the UI's provided, but each to their own I guess.

On my device, it's in Settings/Manage Applications

Distinguished Guru
Message 49 of 67

Go to solution

@IanC wrote:

I think you misunderstand what that checkbox option does.

Maybe I do, maybe I don't....

(that isn't the UI I was referring to, but never mind...)

Ah, I thought we were discussing the Fon app only, not the UI on the phone

It does disable the functionality of the app, in that with it unchecked the app won't offer to login to an available Fon access point.

Yes, that's certainly the case.

The app doesn't actually make the connection (the device wireless gubbins does that - automatically if configured that way - I thought we'd covered this earlier in this thread...) regardless of whether the Fon app is installed.

Surely the app does actually make the connection as it takes over the pre installed wireless gubbins. Without the app the pre installed wireless manager sorts this out - automatically if set that way.

The app, which is obviously running as you're looking at it, is merely reporting the state of the wireless interface. That information is already available elsewhere - the Fon app is simply replicating that.

Does it need to do this? I'd expect it only to show 'connected to Fon/Openzone' or 'currently not connected to Fon/Openzone'. This to me shows that the app is interrogating my phones wireless manager when it doesn't need to. I've asked on here how does the Fon app work as I'd like to know more about this app. For example does it send any info back to BT that has nothing to do with a Fon/Openzone hotspot. We already know BT can tell if we're using a hotspot.

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that your scenario is unusual. If it's that your Fon app reports that the wireless interface is connected (in this instance) to "Hub3slave", then I don't think that's unusual at all.

It has nothing at all to do with "Hub3slave" - which is actually a hub2 acting as wireless extender. It's to do with how the pre installed wireless manager works - with the Fon app installed (ticked or unticked), the pre installed wireless manager works faster than the Fon 'android' techie has ever witnessed. My phone appears to process all the incoming wireless SSID's too quickly. Without the app installed, it runs at about the same speed as an iPhone.

edit. Also with the app installed (ticked or unticked) my phone will not always connect to my hubs or any other router (connection details saved to phone). When the phone is set to manual, it often takes 3+ attempts before it will connect to an SSID that I want to connect to. No app or simply 'frozen' and either methods work perfectly.

Personally, I would never suggest it's a good idea to root the device, with all the possible heartache that lies there, and install unnecessary software in order to perform a task that's already doable with the UI's provided, but each to their own I guess.

I'd also never suggest that anyone roots their phone. But the doable task doesn't work on my phone!! With the Fon app ticked or unticked, when I navigate to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, Running, BTFon and select Force stop, the app does stop for a short time only. Repeating the steps and I'm presented with the app as still running and I can Force stop as many times as I like. Surely if the app has been forced to stop, it shouldn't show up in the running tasks?

On my device, it's in Settings/Manage Applications

Same as me

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 50 of 67

Go to solution

@DS wrote:

@IanC wrote:

I think you misunderstand what that checkbox option does.

Maybe I do, maybe I don't....

(that isn't the UI I was referring to, but never mind...)

Ah, I thought we were discussing the Fon app only, not the UI on the phone

I thought we were discussing killing the BT Fon app...

It does disable the functionality of the app, in that with it unchecked the app won't offer to login to an available Fon access point.

Yes, that's certainly the case.

The app doesn't actually make the connection (the device wireless gubbins does that - automatically if configured that way - I thought we'd covered this earlier in this thread...) regardless of whether the Fon app is installed.

Surely the app does actually make the connection as it takes over the pre installed wireless gubbins. Without the app the pre installed wireless manager sorts this out - automatically if set that way.

I don't think so.  (Why reinvent the wheel ?)

Does it need to do this?

I think so, yes.

I'd expect it only to show 'connected to Fon/Openzone' or 'currently not connected to Fon/Openzone'. This to me shows that the app is interrogating my phones wireless manager when it doesn't need to.

If it doesn't look at the status of the wireless interface, how does it know that a Fon/Openzone access point is available to login to ?

I've asked on here how does the Fon app work as I'd like to know more about this app. For example does it send any info back to BT that has nothing to do with a Fon/Openzone hotspot.

It's not straightforward, but you can discover that for yourself.

We already know BT can tell if we're using a hotspot.

Of course (usually, but not always) - I don't find that surprising, or worrying, and they don't need any info from the Fon app to do so.

It has nothing at all to do with "Hub3slave" - which is actually a hub2 acting as wireless extender. It's to do with how the pre installed wireless manager works - with the Fon app installed (ticked or unticked), the pre installed wireless manager works faster than the Fon 'android' techie has ever witnessed. My phone appears to process all the incoming wireless SSID's too quickly. Without the app installed, it runs at about the same speed as an iPhone.

edit. Also with the app installed (ticked or unticked) my phone will not always connect to my hubs or any other router (connection details saved to phone). When the phone is set to manual, it often takes 3+ attempts before it will connect to an SSID that I want to connect to. No app or simply 'frozen' and either methods work perfectly.

Ah - I see.  Does that apply to SSID's other than your own too ?   

I'd also never suggest that anyone roots their phone. But the doable task doesn't work on my phone!! With the Fon app ticked or unticked, when I navigate to Settings, Applications, Manage Applications, Running, BTFon and select Force stop, the app does stop for a short time only. Repeating the steps and I'm presented with the app as still running and I can Force stop as many times as I like. Surely if the app has been forced to stop, it shouldn't show up in the running tasks?

I stand corrected. For me, the Fon app appears to be restarted whenever the wireless interface is enabled, so shutting it down from Manage Applications will only work until the wireless is switched on again 😞

Is it the same for you ?  Which 'phone are you using, with which Android ?