cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ollie44
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

How far away from a cabinet is deemed 'too far' for Infinity ?

Hi

Can anyone answer this question:

How how far is too far away from a cabinet to get Infinity ?

Thanks

Ollie

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: How far away from a cabinet is deemed 'too far' for Infinity ?

Hi again ollie44,

BT Retail who offers FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) BT Infinity which is their brandname for fibre broadband, to customers who are estimated 15mbps or above for FTTC.

You can still get FTTC fibre broadband from BT Retail if you are estimated under 15mbps for FTTC though the product is called Faster Unlimited broadband.

FTTC fibre broadband currently enables a upto 80mbps broadband service, though this will depend on how far away you are from the FTTC cabinet and the quality of your landline.

FTTC fibre broadband uses VDSL or VDSL2 signals that travel from the FTTC cabinet to your property via the existing copper (sometimes aluminium) line. The further away you are from your FTTC cabinet the slower the fibre FTTC broadband will be.

However VDSL/2 signals used for FTTC broadband connection degrade far quicker in terms of distance than conventional ADSL broadband signal do.

Generally speaking if your landline is over 1500 meters in length from the FTTC cabinet to your property then you may not be able to get BT Infinity as you may not be able to achieve over 15mbps from an FTTC service.

Here is a graph that shows the ADSL(G.DMT,ADSL2 and ADSL2+) and VDSL/2 (FTTC) signal with distance. Please be aware that all ADSL connections are depend on distance from local exchange, where as FTTC (VDSL/2) connections are depend on distance from your FTTC (DSLAM) cabinet. Though all connection types are also depend on line quality.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
sjtp
Guru
Message 3 of 6

Remember that is telephone line distance, not straight line distance.
0 Ratings
ollie44
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Excellent jac_95 , thanks...

Ive now discovered that the new estate cabinet is number 14 and is roughly 900M from me ...I wont hold my breath when this will be enabled as it looks likely it will serve 100's of houses , many of which are yet to be built.

Cheers anyway !

0 Ratings
Dean235
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Well as a previous user mentioned if the speed is less than 15 mbps then Infinity won't be offered. Also, if you are on a Infinity connection and recive poor speeds then I would contact BT about it. It might not be the distance, it could be a line fault or the wires used to connect to the cabinet is aliminium which is older than copper.

0 Ratings
newtonsdad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I live 2253 meters away from my infinity enabled cabinet (measurement by road) and was estimated 17Mbps.

I get about 15Mbps even the openreach engineer was surprised at the speed we get. I have had it for over a year and it stays at that speed most of the time.